Computer science degree personal statement example (1g) Cambridge offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

To study computer science or mathematics at university has been my dream from a young age. The aspect that fascinates me the most is how these two disciplines complement each other closely. I aspire to be one day at the forefront of research in either of these fields and make great discoveries using the skills I will learn from both subjects. Since the start of school I have received a solid grounding in computing and maths so I can continue their learning in higher education. I believe my enthusiasm and dedication is shown by the fact that I have studied maths independently for 5 years and achieved an Advanced Higher "A" a year ahead of my peers. No doubt this pattern of managing my own education will serve me well at university. This year I am undertaking the AH Applied Mathematics (Statistics) course through part time lessons at an independent school. I have also begun to read various undergraduate lecture notes to prepare for higher education. Outside the syllabus, I enjoy and attain good results while participating in Maths Challenges and my abilities have been recognised by being invited to tutor mathematically talented youngsters in my school. This is an excellent opportunity for me to improve my communication skills which is especially valued in academia.

The interest and drive for learning and appreciating mathematics has been equally reflected in my study of programming. I have extensive experience in the object-oriented VisualBasic.NET, which is the language most of my programs are created with. One program that I am particularly proud of has been used successfully in a small part of my father's research in the University of ***. I also gained invaluable experience when I took part in a Computer Games Development course at a local college. It confirmed my belief that a sound mathematical foundation is essential as many topics we learn in maths, such as geometry, were put into practice.

Besides writing programs, I am intrigued by the construction of computers. I once witnessed a full scale corporate IT infrastructure in action when I was given work experience as a technician in ***. I was amazed at how efficiently hardware systems were maintained to a strict time limit so that the company can run without delays. This shows that computers will become even more indispensable in future and I am more determined to study computer science as a result. Currently I am preparing for the AH Computing qualification by correspondence with a teacher in another school. I will also submit the course project to the Programming Challenge organised by *** University. Despite the difficulties of not receiving regular lessons, I am building the experience of being responsible for my own learning.

On the other hand, I have always believed in having as wide an education as possible. Since I am passionate about the humanities, I am continuing the study of English and Music. These subjects enhance my ability for creative thought and will surely prove invaluable in the future. I am especially active in music as playing the flute and the piano are my main hobbies. Indeed, I perform regularly with the *** Concert Band as principal flautist and in the next few months I will be attempting to achieve Grade 8 on flute. I believe playing in a group encourages teamwork and I shall certainly continue to do this in university. My other hobbies include Chess and Bridge, both I play competitively in school and elsewhere. These games improve my logical reasoning which I think is the most valuable skill a mathematician or computer scientist can have.

Looking back at my school life, it has been rewarding and fulfilling. By working diligently I have achieved academic success and in turn the Dux of the School award. Being twice elected as Prefect also taught me the values of responsibility and leadership. Finally I am ready to move forward into the next stage of my life by entering higher education.

Offers based on A-grade in Advanced Higher Mathematics already achieved:

• University of Cambridge - AA in Physics and Statistics + 1,1 in STEP I,II - Firm
  • Imperial College London - AAA in Computing and Statistics + Other - Insurance
  • Durham University - AAA in Physics, Statistics and Computing
  • University of Warwick - AB
  • University of St. Andrews - 2nd year entry - Unconditional

Reviewer comments:

• Great links from learning outside of syllabus to higher education. This shows the applicant has considered what is required of them at university level and are engaged with this process.
  • Sufficient amount included about relevant skills which will be useful when starting the degree
  • Excellent tone, appropriate for formal reading but not over-exaggerated use of language.
  • Extra-curricular section is a bit long for Cambridge, aim for 20%.
  • A few random instances of capitalised words
  • Some themes are repeated ("my own learning")
  • Could expand programming section to include why this interests the applicant. Currently this is mainly listing the benefits and not expanding how the applicant was excited by this work.

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.