Aeronautical engineering degree personal statement example (1c)

The sheer importance of engineers in the modern world has led to my fascination with the subject. My decision to study engineering stems from a culmination of events in my life, from attending Science Club in the first week of year 7 and constructing a 4ft fully operational roller-coaster from K'NEX, to more recently attempting to build my own hovercraft powered by a 25cc 2-stroke leaf blower engine for my EPQ.

Last summer I attended a week-long Headstart Engineering summer school that ranks as one of my best experiences to date, and as part of this, I worked in a team that built, raced and competed with our own go-kart. I not only learnt about the importance of Ackermann steering that week, but also how exciting it is to be part of a talented, motivated and diverse group of individuals with common interests, and I now cannot wait for the group projects during my degree. A highlight of the experience was a brief introduction and demonstration of a working Ramjet engine. It was awe-inspiring to witness and it fueled my inquisitive nature with questions flying around my head such as, “how can an engine with no moving parts slow supersonic air speeds down to lower subsonic levels?” and “how can we get it to work at lower speeds without compromising on thrust or efficiency?” In my search for answers, I have read a variety of inspiring books and papers, including “The Science of Formula 1” by David Tremayne, and “How do wings work?” by Holger Babinsky. I was captivated by just how fundamental Bernoulli's equation of compressible flow is in the aerodynamics of a competitive F1 car, and it is one of the factors that led to me choosing aeronautical engineering.

Bernoulli's equations accentuate one of my favourite things about engineering: the unparalleled link between mathematics and the real world. I have always found it intriguing how real life situations can not only be mapped by mathematical concepts, but can help us predict and explain the phenomena that are happening all around us. I regularly expand my mathematics knowledge outside of college; I attended an AimHigher mathematics master-class and have represented both my schools on two occasions for the team UKMT mathematics challenge, as well as achieving best in school for the individual competition. These have enabled me to not only further develop my proven problem solving skills, but also expand my knowledge outside of the usual A-level syllabus.

Outside of my studies, I work part-time as a waiter/kitchen assistant for an elderly care home. The job has enhanced my conversational skills with both the residents and other members of our team, and has taught me a lot about managing my time effectively. In the time I have spare, I organise a weekly 5-a-side football team in a local tournament and I enjoy playing golf recreationally, however my main passion is in the water, where last summer I qualified for my open water diving certificate. Since then I have been on 6 dives around the world, and I feel this reflects my personality in that I am adventurous and never afraid to explore new things, and to become a successful engineer I believe these qualities are essential.

In essence, my decision to read engineering has been influenced by numerous events in my life, but perhaps none more-so than stumbling across an article one afternoon written about the forgotten yet truly brilliant mind of Nicola Tesla. I since discovered that he died lonely, penniless and unappreciated, yet he optimises the role of the engineer for me; a man of such great talent, seeking nothing but to revel in the knowledge that his creations had and would continue to “lighten the burdens on mankind.” Whilst my leaf blower powered hovercraft may not be changing the world, I hope that one day, with the help of your institution, I could too.

University of Durham (Natural Sciences MSci) - Offer A*AA - Firm offer achieved (please note I submitted a separate PS to Durham via their website)

University of Cambridge (Engineering MEng) - Unsuccessful without interview

University of Manchester (Aeronautical Engineering BEng) - Offer AAB - Declined

University of Southampton (Aeronautical Engineering MEng)- Offer A*AA - Declined

University of Warwick (General Engineering BEng) - Offer AAB - Insurance later declined

A2 Mathematics - A*

A2 Physics - A

A2 Chemistry - A

A2 Biology - B

EPQ- a*

AS Further Mathematics - b

Left it to the last minute to do my PS (don't ever do that) and this was the end result. It's not bad, but wasn't enough for Cambridge, however I had horrendous AS results for an oxbridge applicant (aabbb) so I wasn't at all surprised. In the end I didn't even take Engineering as I opted for Natural Sciences at Durham, but if you are thinking to do Engineering I recommend you put a Masters (MEng) as your first, and a BEng as your insurance, since the entry grades are a grade lower and you are able to switch courses when you get there anyway. Good luck!