Personal Statement - English with Creative Writing

English with Creative Writing Personal Statement

Self-motivation and perseverance will make me an ideal student for an English Creative Writing degree. My aspiration is to become a successful writer of literature like Stephenie Meyer, her science fiction novel, "The Host" captured my imagination with the juxtaposition of its simplicity and complex characters. My interest in creative writing stemmed from this inspiring novel and rapidly grew into a dedicated pursuit. I enjoy reading a wide variety of subject material and authors including foreign novelists. Hans Koppel’s psychological thriller "She's Never Coming Back" is an enthralling Swedish novel with its daring insights into sensitive topics of sexual abuse and kidnapping which I considered explicit and shocking.

For my English Language, Literature and Drama AS level courses I studied both the play and film versions of 'A Streetcar Named Desire,' 'Othello' and 'Antigone' all ranging from 496 BC to the 1940s era. Different interpretations of the same texts help me to establish scenes and explore relationships within my own creative stories. Independently and on my own initiative I researched novelists such as Liane Moriarty and identified her specialities: the simple plot, honing in on the protagonist's internalisations and having relatable characters.

Whilst at school, I help children in their initial years at the school improve their reading. This involves explaining definitions and how to pronounce difficult words in order to extend their vocabulary. Helping them has been mutually beneficial, demonstrating how I can simplify my writing to adapt to a younger readership. Additionally, this voluntary activity highlights my ability to multitask by reading and discussing whilst mid-story.

As an active member of online writing sites, I regularly host and enter competitions in both fiction and non-fictional categories. My ability to manipulate language has been strengthened as have my interpersonal and communication skills. These are employed alongside detailed and analytical reviews of competitors’ submissions. I acknowledge feedback on my writing as I am keen to improve the quality of my work and flexibility. Editing is a thorough process that is essential to be effective in Creative Writing. Utilising these techniques has proved successful as my entry came first out of thirty five contestants on an 'ALL WRITING' contest, emphasising my potential to become a good literary writer.

For several years I lived in America and therefore have a greater appreciation of the differences arising in the development of the English language especially spelling and colloquialisms, theirs being alien to me but also intriguing. The geography of America is vast so the climate and topography changes enormously from North to South which incorporates spectacular scenery. This has left me with a wealth of deeply imprinted memories that I am able to draw from to inject life into my stories.

Attending university will afford me the opportunity to become even better at Creative Writing. I have the diligence and drive to obtain an excellent degree.

University of Birmingham English with Creative Writing Offer (AAA) Firm

University of Warwick English literature and Creative Writing Rejection

Birmingham City University English and Creative Writing Offer (BBC/280 points) Insurance

University of Worcester Creative & Professional Writing and Literary Studies Offer (CCC/240 points) Declined

University of Derby Offer Creative Writing (BCC/260 points) Declined

===Grades Achieved:=== A*BB