Personal Statement - History and Politics 10

Personal Statement:History and Politics 10

My developing interest in history and politics stemmed from listening to my father recall events in the “Troubles” that he had witnessed and the implications these had on him growing up in such a turbulent period of time. From this I learnt that historical events occur for many reasons but that political factors play an important role in those events too.

My interest in History and Politics comes directly from my studies in each subject. Examining the political systems in Nazi Germany and the democracies in the West has shown how historical events are often determined by the political systems within which they occur. I have done extra reading around my subjects, including Alistair Campbell’s “The Irish Diaries” and Philippa Gregory’s “The Women of the Cousins’ War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King’s Mother” and these have shown how individual needs and opinions are often put aside in the national interest.

While studying the American public’s opposition to the Vietnam War, and knowing that my own Great Uncle fought in the United States Air Force in Vietnam, I did some independent research on how this opposition was articulated. The poetry of Allen Ginsberg and the FTA organisation set up by Jane Fonda were notable examples, as was the presidential campaign of Eugene McCarthy in 1968 when he ran against his own leader on an anti-war front. This caused me to reflect on how the will of the public can force their leading politicians into compromise if they are united strongly behind a common objective.

As part of my political studies course, I have attended lectures by Baroness O’Loan and Mark Durkan, MP. I have also attended the Let’s Talk Politics conference held in Derry and visited Stormont. I was given the opportunity to question N.I. politicians on current events affecting both Stormont and Westminster, gain a clearer knowledge of the political history of the UK and N.I. and see how this has shaped our society in the modern era. By studying Irish history 1800-1900 and seeing how the political leader Daniel O’Connell linked the nationalist cause to the Catholic faith, I have realised that this tactic had a significant impact on Irish history, intertwining the past struggles of Irish independence to the more recent struggles of the “Troubles”.

Work experience in Derry’s Tower Museum and Guildhall further emphasised the link between history and politics. I interacted with tourists and I enjoyed in explaining the rich history of our city, from St Columba’s monastery in the city to the Siege of Derry, to the inspiring recovery the city has made after the “Troubles”. I was rewarded also with impressive tales, including that of a woman from Washington whose great-grandmother had sat on the knee of Queen Victoria as a young child.

In the school community I have flourished as a Senior Prefect, which has allowed me in particular to develop my leadership, organisational and time-management skills. My participation in the Year 13 Outreach programme and Peer-Tutoring programme has shown my willingness to give up my time to help others. These experiences were both enjoyable and personally enriching. My involvement with the school choir, brass band and orchestra for 6 years proves my dedication and commitment to my pastimes; I am able to focus on my music and my upcoming Grade 6 Tenor Horn exam while remaining committed to my studies.

While much of my school studies have focused on the histories and political atmospheres of Ireland and Nazi Germany, I relish the challenge that university will offer me to advance my awareness of the link between the histories of the world and the political cultures that have thrived and collapsed throughout time. As can be seen from what I have written, I am committed to studying History and Politics at university and I look forward to my time there.