Personal Statement - Journalism 4

Journalism Personal Statement 4

Journalism is the industry of reporting, writing and broadcasting news. It is fast-changing and always presents a new challenge. It scopes from the 'old-fashioned' art of newspaper writing to the 'new-age' online journalism. It is an industry which will always have a vital and exciting place in our society. This is the reason why I would like to undertake a course which could allow me to join the world of journalism. I have a particular interest in Journalism because of the vast scope which is covered by the subject.

Journalism covers every subject imaginable, from sports to music, from business to current affairs. I would like to enter an industry which would allow me to branch off in any of these directions, and to follow up new and exciting affairs; perhaps with the opportunity to specialise in a particular area. After completing the course, I hope to enter an occupation in either print or broadcast journalism. I would like to work in an environment which might allow me to combine the two. I would like to be able in the future to work for a big organisation such as the BBC.

I am currently studying A Levels in Business Studies, English Literature and Religious Studies. I feel that these subjects, especially English and Religious Studies have aided in my choice of a Journalism course. Both of these courses have allowed me to develop my essay writing skills. As part of my Religious Studies course we have discussed many active ethical issues, which is something I would like to develop.

My ambition to work in the Journalism industry was further propelled this year after completing work experience with the National Assembly for Wales. I was able to work within the Media Relations department, which gave an insight into how the Assembly communicates with the media and with the public.

I actively participated in monitoring the National Assembly's press coverage. I was involved selecting relevant material from various sources and logging items. Additionally, I was given the opportunity to write a press release about forthcoming events. In addition to this, I had a tour of the Assembly Chamber; this included details of how they broadcast the Plenary meetings. This aided my choice of a course which combined both broadcast and print journalism, as seeing broadcasting first hand instilled an immediate interest which I would like the opportunity to follow.

I have a part time job in Homebase as a customer service assistant. Through which I have been able to develop my key skills. I have been able to gain more confidence amongst others. I am required to talk to customers, sort out their queries and complaints. Through this work, I have been able to develop my team work and have developed communication skills. In school, I have in the past participated in many extra-curricular activities including Drama club, the Rotary cooking competition and the Christmas cake competition -which I won. I have also helped out on numerous open evenings in a variety of ways. Last year I was involved in Paired Reading, which required being paired with a younger child in the school and helping them with reading. I am also part of the COMPACT scheme.

This year I am a member of the CHIPs team. CHIPs (Childline In Partnership with Schools) aims to help bullied children in the school. I am involved in listening and helping any pupils who comes to CHIPs with a problem.

I enjoy spending my spare time with friends. I like shopping and going to the cinema. I also enjoy watching Wales play rugby. I enjoy spending time using the computer. Through this I have gained ICT skills which are essential in online journalism.

I am well organised and can handle pressure well. I enjoy researching new ideas and have an eye for the latest story. I believe I can bring a lot to the journalism industry, and would relish the opportunity to study for a Journalism degree in university.