Personal Statement:Spanish 2

Ever since I began studying Spanish some years ago it's lessons have held more interest than any other subject - it has always been extremely interesting to study not only the language itself, but the culture and heritage associated with it. Having spent several weeks working in a primary school helping with Spanish not only cemented a desire to further my education in Spanish, but also plans for a career in teaching. During this I was inspired by the willingness of the children to be taught more outside of lesson time.

Visiting differing areas of Spain recently has not only developed my language skills but also my appreciation of the culture. I especially enjoyed the country's music, and on a trip to Jerez de la Frontera, the gypsy style of flamenco. Spanish language artists such as Juanes and Mala Rodriguez are both interesting and entertaining, and provide a different, more relevant and more immersed view of the culture. I have an ever increasing interest in Spanish language films, a potential favourite being the Argentinean director Fabián Bielinsky, and his 'Nueve Reinas', a film which induced a broadening of my knowledge of the region and of the diversity of Latin American productions - and helped me move away from the safety of mainstream releases such as 'Los Diarios de Motocicleta.' My interest in films and music has also increased my knowledge of Latin American Spanish, and the dialects and vocabulary peculiar to the region.

I also have an increasing interest in Spanish literature, and was amused and delighted by 'Don Quixote de la Mancha', which was an excellent introduction. This led me onto other works, predominantly short stories, such as those of Isabelle Allende, and Gabriel García Márquez, which I found equally absorbing. I hope to develop this interest even further through my unviersity studies, and to continue to read widely, and hopefully at a more in depth level. History is another element of the country that interests me greatly, having studied the Spanish Civil War as a part of my History course, which was gripping, and gave me great experience in working independently. This knowledge has also been developed by research for my Spanish course: Primo de Rivera, the Second Republic, and the transition to democracy.

I plan to take a Gap Year after leaving sixth form, and intend to visit the Spanish speaking world. I will travel throughout South America, visiting Bolivia, Peru, and neighbouring countries, and also plan to stay and work with friends in Jerez, in Spain, teaching English as a foreign language. My interest in the regions I intend to visit also stems from my historical studies - the still evident scars of the Civil War and also the more distant colonial past of South America. This will prepare me excellently for beginning my university course by increasing my command of the language, and also broadening the depth of my knowledge of the cultures associated with it.

I have developed many skills outside the classroom which are useful to my studies. I play a key role in the Combined Cadet Force, where I am responsible for the training and development of younger cadets, and my experiences with the unit have developed my teamwork and leadership skills, and introduced me to new and challenging activities that I would not otherwise have had a chance to partake in. I am also the Events Manager at the school, where I organise events such as the Classics Play, the School Play, the Summer Musical, and others - this has developed my organisational skills and my ability to independently work towards a goal, as well as work within a team of other students. The activities have all taught me the importance of diligent independent work, and the importance of moving beyond my comfort zone and into the study of new and exciting areas of the course I wish to study. I will transfer all the skills I have developed through these activities into both the work of my university course, and the activities surrounding it, and this will benefit me from the beginning of my studies.

I am an excellent candidate because of my strong and proven subject interest, my desire to learn and my ability to work diligently and independently towards top grade results.

• University of Oxford (Spanish) - Rejection after Interview
  • University of Durham (Modern Languages) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University College London (Hispanic Studies) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Bristol (Spanish) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Leeds (Spanish) - Offer (ABB) Insurance

• Spanish (AS/A2) - A
  • History (AS/A2) - A
  • Biology (AS/A2) - A
  • Philosophy (AS) - A