Law degree personal statement example (2j) Nottingham, Leeds, Warwick offers

My love of law stemmed from a dislike of geography and severe stage fright. Unaware of the life-changing decision I was about to make, I settled for GSCE law over drama and geography. Taught by an enthusiastic maths teacher with no legal experience, independent study became necessary and quickly became a pleasure, stimulating an interest in law that is still present almost four years later.

I aspire to become a solicitor, and to combine my interests by specialising in equine law. Initially, this specific interest arose from a scandal; a prominent rider unable to compete whilst loan agreements were disputed. As I had not studied contract law at A Level, I subscribed to the 'Animal Law and Litigation Reports', aiming to gain an understanding of the basic concepts. This allowed me to understand the legal arguments that had triggered my interest, which although challenging, was also incredibly enjoyable. As a result, I arranged to attend an equine law seminar in the New Year, which I believe I will gain greatly from.

I feel I have gained valuable skills from my other A level subjects. History has enabled me to form opinions and to justify them using evidence. It has helped me to understand the ways that society has changed and has allowed me to appreciate the need for law, and the roles of the executive and the judiciary in implementing and enforcing crucial changes. I found Peel's actions in the 1820s particularly interesting; by reforming and consolidating the criminal law and reducing the number of offences that carried the death penalty, he attempted to promote justice in Britain. English language and literature has enabled me to write in a fluent and persuasive way, while maths taught me to search for answers logically.

My desire to further develop necessary skills led me to join my sixth form's law society, where I enjoy taking part in discussions on topics with legal implications. Taking an active role in the school's debating society has enabled me not only to practise building and presenting an argument, but to fight from a different, unknown angle, as well as challenging other ideas. Clarkson's 'Understanding Criminal Law' and the presented view that law is a "social control" sparked an interesting debate; some arguing Lord Devlin's view that "common morality is essential" for the preservation of society, and others Hart's view that this shared morality does not exist.

Undertaking work experience, assisting senior solicitors in all departments of a large firm, confirmed that the practical element of law also appealed to me. Being given small responsibilities, such as drafting divorce petitions, was a real privilege. Sitting in on meetings with clients highlighted the importance of a solicitor being able to work well with people, and I feel my part-time job as a riding instructor and my place in a show jumping team has helped me to develop the relevant skills for this. Shadowing an usher in the Magistrates' Court helped me understand the way criminal procedure and the lay magistracy works, and highlighted the role of a solicitor in court. J.A.G Griffith's 'The Politics of the Judiciary' gave me, I felt, a rather biased view of the way judges in the higher courts work today. Comparing this with the views of enlightened thinkers, particularly Montesquieu, who believed "there can be no liberty" when the judiciary and executive are united, I found Griffith's view led me to question whether outside pressures have a negative impact on justice.

Stumbling into law, I unintentionally found a true interest. It is this genuine interest that makes me enthusiastic and hardworking; I hope an ideal candidate for a law degree.

• Nottingham - Offer
  • Leeds - Offer Accepted
  • Warwick - Offer
  • Newcastle - Offer
  • Durham - Rejected

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide