Law degree personal statement example (2u) solicitor career path

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Since my early childhood I have been fascinated by the rules that govern society and the way in which these rules are created, reformed and enforced. The law is inextricable from every day life: from something as minor as buying the morning paper to the rules governing space exploration. It is this omnipresence of the law that makes it such a fascinating topic to me personally. Furthermore, the high level of communication skills, both oral and written, required for a study of the law operates as a further incentive to study the course, as an avid student of English both as a subject at school and as a matter of personal interest.

I feel that the subject from school that has best prepared me for a study of the law is history, this being because of the highly analytical nature of the topic and the application of the English language, as well as the necessity for a fully reasoned argument supported by evidence to bolster the conclusion reached.

The other subjects studied at Higher level were a matter of personal preference and the desire to vary my subject load in order to make the most of the number of qualification attainable at such a time. I studied chemistry and physics because of the scale of both knowledge required, in terms of remembering a large volume of information, as well as the understanding required to apply this knowledge. I feel that these subjects improved my ability to apply rules to novel situations; a skill which I feel is extremely important to anyone studying the law. In addition, the analysis of experiments in class allows for an improvement in the ability to draw a reasoned conclusion from a collection of empirical evidence.

In my final year of high school I was elected to the position of head of student council wherein I represented the opinions of the whole of sixth year on the council, and more roundly presented the opinions of the whole student body as a representative in staff and student meetings. I feel that this role was a complete success and provided me with some experience in chairing meetings, representing the opinions of my peers and putting together a reasonable argument in order to achieve the goals promised during the election campaign. In addition to this, I felt quite satisfied that the students benefited from the representation I was able to give them.

As well as the student council, I was an avid representative of the school in the football team for sixth year, in a season which led to a high placing position in the league tables. Football is an activity that I have continued to enjoy at a five-a-side level, I feel that as a sport it improves communication skills, and forces the players to improve coordination of the team’s efforts in order to perform successfully.

Having studied the first year of a law degree at the University of Dundee I feel that it is a subject area that I thoroughly enjoy, because of the intellectual challenge it represents and the manner in which quite often large, varying bodies of information will have to be consulted in order to produce an original conclusion.

Upon the completion of my degree I aim to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland by enrolling in the diploma for legal practice; however, I am open to further study and have not ruled out the notion of a postgraduate degree. Positive Rating!

I applied to UCAS to transfer into second year from Dundee to Edinburgh.

• Edinburgh

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide