Law degree personal statement example (3f) Birmingham, York offers

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

I remember a class debate at Primary School about whether or not school uniforms should be mandatory. My class mates so infuriated me with their arguments that I just couldn’t stop myself from responding and, at the end, my teacher told me I had a career in arguing. Since then, the idea of fighting for just causes and helping people win their arguments has become something that has shaped how I picture myself in the future.

This ambition was a large factor in my decision to take A level Law, and despite my apprehension about specialising in law so soon, through my study, I have only felt encouraged to pursue law at university. I have gained a greater appreciation of social and moral issues, and thrived in a subject I find to be so relevant to everyday life. I find it fascinating how, in law, one must think about the psychological elements of crime as well as an actual act.

By studying Law, I want to learn skills necessary to represent people who are repressed and ignored in society. For me, playing a role in the successful pursuit of justice is a great motivation. One area of Law that interests me particularly is the law surrounding assisted suicide and euthanasia and I took particular interest in the case of DPP v Purdy and its ruling during Law classes.

As well as taking Law, I also study History at A level which has also been a huge help for potentially studying Law. The skills I have honed through studying History, such as critical skills, analytical skills and putting forward valid arguments are ones I believe I will need frequently in the legal sphere. At High School, I was awarded the History prize for my year in three consecutive years, showing command of the necessary skills for History, many of which overlap into Law. I have excelled in my other subject, English Literature. This subject’s main skill base includes interpreting and analysing texts, making judgements and supporting them whilst discussing other interpretations. I believe all of these skills make me an excellent potential Law candidate and my grades reflect my capability to employ these skills.

My work experience in an office of solicitors further fuelled my eagerness to study Law. A lawyer’s workload surprised me, however I soon realised I would relish such a challenge. To be able to work and apply all the skills I will have acquired on actual cases, with the potential of highly rewarding outcomes hugely appeals to me. Volunteer work like being a member of the Youth SVP group gave me a strong sense of being proactive in the community. Fundraising, visiting homes for the elderly and helping organise Christmas parties all improved my social and organisational skills as well as demonstrating my ability to work well in a team.

As a person, I am enthusiastic, outgoing and dependable. I have a strong work ethic and am generally highly motivated to achieve to the best of my ability. Having recently lost three stone, I spend my free time maintaining a healthy lifestyle by taking long walks and I have developed an interest in cooking and try to prepare all meals I eat myself.

By studying Law at university, I hope to become one step closer to my long anticipated vision of arguing and making a strong case for a living.

• Birmingham - Offer: A*AB/AAA (Firm, achieved grades)
  • York - Offer (after interview): AAA (Insurance)
  • Hull - Offer: 320 UCAS points
  • Aberystwyth - Offer: 340 UCAS points
  • College of Law London - Offer: ABB

• GCSE's: 3A*s 5As 4Bs
  • AS: ACCE
  • A2: A* (Law), A (English Lit), B (History - three UMS off an A) and an A in General Studies.

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide