Law degree personal statement example (3n) Birmingham, Liverpool offers

Aristotle said, "Man perfected by society is the best of all animals; he is the most terrible of all when he lives without law, and without justice." In the past year I have discovered the importance of law. It governs all we see and hear in the media, in Britain and the wider world. My supermarket work requires me to abide by trading laws and the Data Protection Act. Newspapers publish articles on politics and on criminal activity, as well as civil cases. I have followed, with particular interest, the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking and the damages paid to the victims. Law defines our country and makes it a better place to live.

My fascination with the law has stemmed from my interest in politics and current affairs, and my firm belief in justice for all. Although A Level Law only gives me the framework of the legal world, it has motivated me to further explore my interest in many areas of the subject. I enjoy every part of my course.

College has been an invigorating and inspiring experience for me. It has made me more focused, ambitious and independent than before. With my good AS results, I feel I can progress and achieve better grades by the end of this year. Law has given me a great foundation for further study. English Language has improved my analytical and writing skills, whilst Sociology has made me appreciate different views and opinions of society and its workings. Although I am pleased with my AS results, I am re-sitting two exams in Law and Sociology respectively to improve my grades, to satisfy my ambitious persona and because I strive for the best. In addition to my A2 courses, I have started studying Classical Civilisation. Within this, I am studying Athenian democracy - I feel that this is important, as it inspired the legal fundamentals of the modern world.

Earlier this year, I visited the Supreme Court with my law class. We were shown the different courtrooms and told of their functions; this has given me a better understanding of the justice system. I have also watched several cases in Bristol Crown Court. I feel this was valuable and enjoyed watching the advocacy skills of the lawyers involved. I plan to visit a county court in the near future to better my understanding of civil law.

This summer I completed a week of work experience with Thompsons Solicitors, which has inspired me to explore my interest in employment law. While there, I watched interesting meetings between solicitors and clients, regarding both employment and personal injury law. I also improved my organisation skills by sorting through medical files for personal injury cases and putting them in order. By next year I plan to complete more work experience with Thompsons, and with another law firm such as Irwin Mitchell. I am also currently arranging to shadow a barrister in court, whom I met through a careers event at my college, and who I am now in contact with independently. My part time job has enhanced my team working skills and has given me the ability to work under pressure. It has also given me great communication and problem solving skills, which are things I feel to be vital for a career in Law.

In my spare time I enjoy reading about the law and watching legal dramas - I am currently reading the BabyBarista Files by Tim Kevan which I find a humorous insight into The Bar. I also enjoy watching programmes such as The Jury and Silk, as although they may not be entirely legally accurate, they give an amusing and dramatic glance into the profession. In my spare time I also enjoy reading literature, attending theatre performances and music concerts, and going to dance classes.

After researching different universities and attending several open days, I have based my choices on my aspirations to study at a respected Law school. I am fully able to commit to my studies due to my dedicated nature, and will contribute my energies to all aspects of the Law school and university life.

• University of Birmingham: AAA (Firm)
  • University of Liverpool: ABB (Insurance)
  • Swansea University: ABB
  • University of the West of England: 320 UCAS points
  • Birmingham City University: 280 UCAS points

Predicted Grades:

-