Personal Statement:Law with History 1

For a great length of time, I have found that the preservation and promotion of justice, fairness and equality have been of the utmost importance. This can be achieved in a number of ways, whether it is within the legal system, and the advancement of the same human rights for all, or within a political system that defends, and enables the growth of, democracy. Other vital aspects of the passion I have for the aforementioned honesty and integrity are both the study of history and past events – through which we can prevent past errors -, and also the promotion of all of these values diligently and fervently through the written and spoken word.

For me, I found that the manifold attractions of these areas of study could not be denied. I feel that I would be particularly suited to this for a number of reasons. Participating in the Mark Scott Leadership for Life award this year, I feel that the various talents and experiences this has given me would enable me to take part in this course of study in a far better way than if I had not had this opportunity. To receive the Award, my team mates and I have had to fund, plan and deliver a community project over three days. This has included planning various fundraising events – for example, a charity concert – that I feel has taught me much not only about the importance of organization, but also the value of a co-operative and communicative team. Over the course of the year, each person has been the team leader for a period of around a month. I feel that during my tenure as group leader, I not only honed my skills in diplomacy and tact, but also learned the vital role of listening skills within group discussion. Furthermore, as part of the Mark Scott Award, we undertook a residential week in Loch Eil, the benefits of which I feel cannot be exaggerated. Due to the many new people, challenges and activities we were introduced to, I found that that week has imbued me with far greater self-confidence; something, I feel, that is highly important when one considers the myriad challenges that a degree of this nature may pose.

During this school session, I have taken part in paired reading with pupils in their First and Second Year of secondary school who have difficulties of this nature. On a personal level, this has given me immense satisfaction, and allowed me to develop leadership skills in a challenging context; indeed, it is this that I would like to find in a future career. Aside from this, I feel this experience has given me a sense of responsibility that I would otherwise not have had otherwise. Tied up within my decision to take part in my school’s literacy programme is my own love affair with the printed word; from an early age I have sought to read at any given opportunity. I feel that this has contributed to one of my greatest assets: an open and inquiring mind, of the sort that I feel could contribute greatly to the course of study I am applying for. Although I would find it difficult to ascertain any narrow list of favourite works, I am extraordinarily partial to the classics; the great tenets of English literature, the influence of which has designed my vivid imagination and scope for literary enjoyment. Another of my great passions in life is music – whether it is through playing or listening to it, I find within the beauty and infinite variety of music a sense of wonder that I feel shall never dissipate. I play various instruments, including guitar and keyboard, and have found that the practice of an instrument teaches one the true value of hard work, and that practice always achieves practical results.

Recently, I took part in an event organized by the Scottish Parliament; over a period of three days, those involved were given great insight in to the research methods of SPICe – the researchers of MSPs-, and the workings of the Finance Committee. I found this to be not only fascinating, in so far as my own political interests are concerned, but this also contributed greatly to my own understanding of research, and the ways in which it is both applied and collected. I feel this new analytical prowess would make me well suited for the study of Law. In general, I feel that my character, and the course I have chosen are extremely well-suited to each other, and that my desire to improve the situations of others cannot help but motivate me in the study of Law. Although I know I shall have to face many trials – no pun intended! - and obstacles in the years ahead, I am invigorated, uplifted, and altogether exhilarated by a challenge. I plead guilty to nothing more or less than a passionate interest in my future studies of Law.

• University of Edinburgh (LLB Law with History Honours) - Unconditional - Firm
  • University of Dundee (LLB Law) - Unconditional - Rejected Offer
  • University of Aberdeen (LLB Law) - Unconditional - Rejected Offer
  • Glasgow Caledonian University (LLB Law) - Unconditional - Rejected Offer
  • University of Glasgow (LLB Law with English Literature) - Conditional (B at Higher, C at Advanced Higher) - Rejected Offer

• English (Higher) - A
  • History (Higher) - A
  • Physics (Higher) - A
  • Chemistry (Higher) - A
  • Mathematics (Higher) - C
  • English (Advanced Higher) - A
  • History (Advanced Higher) - A
  • Modern Studies (Higher) - A