Personal Statement:Medicine 96

Medicine Personal Statement

Medicine is a truly fascinating field of study that incorporates the application of sciences and a fundamental altruistic goal to care for others. This, coupled with the sheer complexity and often unpredictable nature of human anatomy, is what initially attracted me towards a medical career. Now, after both my experiences through voluntary work as well as my academic studies, I am convinced that despite its difficulties, a personal career in Medicine would be an ultimately rewarding pursuit.

This summer, I independently organised work experience in a rural hospital in South Africa where I gained an understanding of some of the problems of medicine in more remote areas of the world. During a fulfilling two weeks, I shadowed and assisted doctors who encouraged my involvement in clinical situations. I was able to closely observe practice, witnessing some remarkable patient cases such as an accidental harvesting amputation. The experience of being thrust into an entirely new culture rapidly developed my self-confidence and interpersonal skills.

Volunteering in a local hospice for the past four months has inevitably been a harsh introduction to the realities of death, due to the rapid formation and conclusion of relationships built up with the patients. By speaking to doctors, nurses and patients, I have learned to respect and appreciate the unique situations of each individual, highlighting the importance of effective communication skills when involved in the care sector.

From my voluntary experiences at Downs View Link, a special needs college for teenagers with learning difficulties, I supported teachers and led lessons, which introduced me to a responsible role. I had the chance not only to interact and communicate with the students, but also to understand and empathise with their difficult personal situations.

My interest in Medicine has led me to extend my studies beyond the demands of A-level. In Biology, I really enjoyed learning about genetics and pathology, which encouraged me to undertake my piece of coursework on the unusually high occurrence of some fatal genetic conditions, such as Cystic Fibrosis. I am also attracted to the fundamental nature of Chemistry. This subject has improved my analytical and application skills, while my problem solving ability and decision making have been enhanced by Mathematics. I have begun an Extended Project Qualification influenced by the case studies in Jerome Groopman's 'How Doctors Think', where I am exploring the advantages and limitations of modern medical practice. The Extended Project has certainly introduced me towards a more advanced and autonomous way of study.

Outside of academic life, I am a keen cricketer. Having been school and club captain from a young age, I developed strong leadership skills together with good team working ability, also taking opportunities to coach younger children. I have been on the fringes of County Cricket and am still active in league cricket, which has required dedication and hard work. I enjoy playing music and have progressed via violin, clarinet, keyboard and finally saxophone; playing in a band has improved my self-confidence. All this has enhanced my ability to manage time effectively. Participation in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme also furthered my capacity to organise independently and work efficiently as a member of a team.

The journey through medical school is undoubtedly demanding, but I believe that I have both the necessary commitment and passion to be successful in the medical profession. In this field, I recognise that success requires much dedication and endeavour. I believe that my voluntary experiences have given me an insight into the profession, as well as developing characteristics needed to undertake such a demanding course. With the drive and ambition I possess, I look forward to the challenges posed by medical school, and would relish the opportunity to meet them.

• Imperial College London (A100 MBBS/BSc) - Offer (AAA) - Firm
  • University College London (A100 MBBS/BSc) - Offer (AAA) - Insurance
  • Kings College London (A100 MBBS) - Post-interview Rejection
  • University of Southampton (A100 BM) - Rejection

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry (A2) - A*
  • Biology (A2) - A
  • French (A2) - B
  • Extended Project - A*
  • UKCAT - 670, 900, 740, 850 - Avg. 790
  • BMAT - 5.2, 5.2, 3.5A

A100 Medicine: 2012 entry

This statement went through redraft after redraft, and there are bits of work experience and extra-curricular that I ended up leaving out to try and attain quality over quantity; I'll let the readers be the judge to see if that was a successful bid!

Probably could have been written a bit better, but you know what? My head was hurting and anything further at that point would probably have made things worse. There does come a point when you have to say, 'You know what? I'm done,' which most of us find out the hard way.

Apart from that...yeah. It got a job done, so I suppose it held some value and I'm grateful for that.