Personal Statement:Medicine with a Foundation Year 1

Medicine with a Foundation Year Personal Statement

On the 20th July, 1969, mankind landed on the moon. Why is it then, that forty years on, we are still unable to find a cure for cancer? Medicine not only poses complex questions, but it also challenges the way we think and questions our capacity to help others. Learning about the body; the intricate interplay between chemicals; the delicate formation of a foetus from a cluster of cells; and then having the ability to put this knowledge into practice is the reason why I want to pursue a career as a doctor.

One of the aspects that initially attracted me to medicine is how it is constantly evolving. After reading an article about the first baby conceived with the help of a new embryo screening technique, I developed an interest into the topic of IVF. Further research left me intrigued about the numerous possibilities IVF creates but also the ethical issues it raises. For example, is it morally right to create, discard or manipulate human embryos for the sake of science? Through studying Psychology at A-level I have gained an understanding of the underlying need for effective drug treatment for mental illnesses such as depression and schizophrenia. Moreover reading 'Survival of the Sickest' by Dr Sharon Moalem has raised my awareness of how some diseases such as diabetes and sickle cell anaemia evolved in order to help our ancestors survive in harsh environments.

I have always been committed to caring for others and organised a work experience placement at a care home for the severely disabled. Whilst there, I was responsible for providing the residents with social and recreational activities. At times it was emotionally draining, seeing people physically unable to do simple tasks which we all take for granted, their sense of autonomy lost alongside their health. Every time I befriended a resident, I saw how much they appreciated my company and felt as though I had enhanced their day. Upon leaving, I came to the realization that science cannot fix everything, but with the help of supportive doctors, staff and friends, people can still go on to lead fulfilling lives. In addition, volunteering at my local hospital has given me a valuable insight into clinical medicine. Whenever I take the trolley shop around the wards, the first thing I notice is the level of sympathy and compassion each member of medical staff shows when treating a patient, no matter how difficult the patient or how busy the member of staff. From moments like these I have learnt that doctors require a great deal of patience and must have a real desire to understand people beyond their apparent signs and symptoms.

Over the summer I became a helper at a centre for the blind and visually impaired. The weeks I spent there enabled me to appreciate and respect the needs of others. This year I was selected to represent the school on the Lessons from Auschwitz project and am now the Holocaust Educational Trust student ambassador for my school community, which alongside my role as a senior prefect put in a role of great responsibility and helped me develop leadership skills. The two hundred hours I have spent volunteering for a British Heart Foundation shop have improved my interpersonal skills and taught me how to communicate effectively with different sections of society. As I understand that maintaining a good work life balance is essential for a career as a doctor, I spend my leisure time singing as part of a Russian choir.

I recognize that being a doctor is a demanding career, but without a doubt it is the most rewarding one. Medicine encompasses all the aspects I find fascinating in humanity: our physiology, psychology, and ethical values. This course will allow me to gain the necessary skills to work and proceed into the world of medicine

• University of East Anglia (A104) - Offer (BCC) - Firm
  • University of Leeds (CFG0) - Offer (CDD) - Insurance
  • University of Manchester (A104) - Interview - Rejection
  • University of Cardiff (A104) - Rejection
  • University of Bristol (A104) - Rejection

• Psychology - A*
  • English Language and Literature - B
  • History - B
  • Media (AS) - A

Comments on the statement