Personal Statement:Midwifery 95

Midwifery personal statement- September 2014 start

I first became interested in midwifery at the age of 13 through studying children's care, learning and development. Learning about pregnancy and foetal development interested me greatly and I gained a more in-depth understanding of midwifery and the importance of health care professionals. From there I developed a deep interest in becoming a midwife. To gain extra knowledge of midwifery I have read several books such as 'Journal of a Student Midwife' and have also recently purchased 'Myles Textbook for Midwives'. This will help me to develop a better understanding into the role. Having an aunt who is a midwife has given me a greater insight and enabled me to ask in-depth questions and understand the role she plays within the hospital and wider community. It has helped me to understand the challenges and expectations that come with being a midwife and the complications that occur during pregnancy, childbirth and the postnatal period. This has helped me to decide more clearly that midwifery is the perfect career path for me. Whilst at Sixth Form College, I have been studying Health and Social Care and Sociology which has increased my knowledge about midwifery. During Health and Social Care coursework research I have had the opportunity to interview a midwife. This has raised my awareness of the role and responsibilities of a midwife that I would have to adapt to. I have also become aware of the many caring skills that would be essential when acting as a midwife. In Sociology, I have learnt about trends in birth rates and how society is changing and the affect this could have on midwives. It has also enhanced my evaluative skills which will be very useful whilst studying at university. As well as attending College, I have a part-time job working in a restaurant where I have recently been promoted. I have also undertaken voluntary work at a local hospital during the summer and completed my work experience at a special needs school. In addition, I have applied to carry out voluntary work at the same hospital, working on the maternity ward as a meet and greet. This will allow me to interact with pregnant women and their families and get a feel for what it is like working on the ward. Through these experiences I have gained essential skills that will help me be successful as a midwife. I have the caring and communication skills that are vital for the role. At work I have to interact with customers on a daily basis and this requires excellent communication skills. I also have to be able to work as part of a team, be on my feet for long periods of time and work in shifts which can be any day of the week, early or late. During my voluntary work at a local hospital, I primarily dealt with paperwork and computer work. However I was given the opportunity to tour the maternity ward and speak to a midwife about her job role and the demands it brings. Seeing this working environment has made me realise just how much I want to be a part of it and the dedication I must put into my studies in order to achieve this. I am also currently taking part in a first aid course, which will help me to build on my caring skills and enable me to give basic first aid. This course also stresses the importance of cleanliness. Working in a hospital I would have to make sure I am hygienic at all times. I also have to ensure cleanliness at work as I deal with food; I have to wash my hands at certain times to ensure no germs are spread. I can use this knowledge of cleanliness to help me with midwifery because I will be working in a clean, sterile environment. The experience I have gained has helped me to develop my skills and understanding and made perfectly clear the career path I would like to take. Being a midwife would be the most rewarding career, as helping women to bring a new life into the world would be an incredible experience to witness day after day. It has been my ambition for many years; I cannot think of anything more satisfying to do.

• Middlesex University (Midwifery) - Interview and Offer (240 points) Firm offer
  • Anglia Ruskin University (Midwifery) - Interview and Rejection (300 points)
  • University of Surrey (Midwifery) - Interview and Rejection (ABB)
  • King College London (Midwifery) - Rejection (BBB)
  • Canterbury Christ Church University (Midwifery) - Interview and Rejection (300 points)

• Sociology (AS-grade B/ A2-grade C)
  • Applied ICT (AS-grade B/ A2-grade C)
  • Health and Social Care (AS-grade B/ A2-grade C)
  • Applied Science with forensics (AS-grade Distinction)

I applied for September 2014 and I had heard it was very difficult to get into so when I applied I didn't think I was going to get in anywhere. Even getting interviews is difficult so I was happy I was able to get that far and I was even happier when I received an offer. The majority of the interviews I attended we had to do a Numeracy and Literacy test which we had to pass to get an offer. Anyone that is thinking of applying to Midwifery I suggest you revise basic Numeracy and Literacy and get any relevant work experience you can. Also read your Anatomy and Physiology as this is a very important part of Midwifery. I am currently at university studying Midwifery and it is very rewarding but requires a lot of time and energy, so make sure you are up for putting all you have into the course. Good Luck!