Personal Statement:Nursing 6

Adult Nursing Personal Statement

Throughout Sixth Form I was given the opportunity to tutor pupils who were struggling in science classes. I found it was satisfying to watch them develop in a subject I was passionate about. This motivated me to research a career that would include applied science, problem solving and within a caring enviroment. I was offered the chance to do work experience within various areas at a local hospital. I learnt about the huge variety of careers available in healthcare and learned more about some of the roles and responsibilities of these different professions. It was useful observing the nurses and to see the comparisons between the different responsibilities they have and how they adapted their approach with each patient to achieve effective care, demonstrating the importance of being flexible as a nurse. I also saw the nurses interacting with other health professionals, and noticed the importance of teamwork within the NHS and how other roles support each other to help the patient and meet goals. The patients were the highlight and helping them with simple tasks and just talking to them let me realise being nursing is the path for me.

My work experience helped me realise the most basic yet important skills to being a good nurse is being able to demonstrate kindness and compassion and having an understanding of people from all backgrounds. I've also had many opportunities where I've demonstrated skills useful for nursing. In 2006, I was a member of the prom committee within school, which included organising a ball from scratch and using a budget; this was a use of great time management and multi-tasking and helped me ripen my confidence when working in a team. Furthermore I was able to take part on the Duke of Edinburgh award which involved charity work and organising an expedition with a small team of five. My charity work involved volunteering for my local children's hospice, even though I was doing basic tasks such as cleaning and working in the kitchens, it involved working in an emotionally charged environment and allowed me to deal with stressful situations in a confident and calm manner. Teamwork and good communication is vital when working with people and even more essential as a nurse. I believe my previous job as a sales advisor at John Lewis highlights these skills. I worked in a small team and we delivered one-to-one service to a variety of customers. I felt comfortable in dealing with people and being in a position of responsibility.

Psychology A-level has given me the opportunity to study our mind processes and how they can affect our physiological functions. For my coursework I studied the effects of cognitive stress on heart rate and the effect long term stress has on the cardiovascular system. I've found Religous Studies particularly helpful in understanding the wider implications of ethical issues on society and how other religions may approach them differently. In addition I have found my critical thinking and analysis when looking at current affairs has evolved over these past 2 years; this has also been encouraged by joining my schools debating society. Music is an inspiration in my life. I've taken part in local competitions and recitals and for the past year I have been teaching four children the piano. In my spare time I enjoy cooking, travelling and playing netball for my local team. During my Gap-year I am currently applying and going through the interview process to become a Health Care Assistant with the goal of more firsthand experience within nursing. In addition I've applied for a course in British Sign Language with the aim of opening up new channels of communication. A nursing degree can allow me to expand on my current analytical and scientific knowledge, whilst providing me with a sense of achievement and preparation for working within healthcare. Florence Nightingale was once quoted saying 'Nursing is an art', an art I wish to invest hard work, dedication and a passion of caring into.