Personal Statement:Pharmacy 14

Pharmacy Personal Statement

Throughout my secondary-school experience I found out that science was what I was proficient at, and particularly enjoyed thoroughly. My academic success in science has lead me to pursue studies in the disciplined field of Pharmacy, a scientific subject which has a captivating appeal to me as it fulfils the requirements of having a high chemistry content ,as chemistry is my main favourite subject with many interesting theories and facts which allow us to make sense of life in general, and being able to provide a helpful service to the community. Also Knowing the wide range of tasks a Pharmacist covers, it has strengthened my passion for the subject, I have learnt of Stop-Smoking programmes and Methadone dispensing which help the local society to quit negative habits and improve their health. Health, a key part in society I would like to make a difference to.

To increase my scientific problem skills and to enhance my knowledge I currently study Advanced Higher Chemistry and Advanced Higher Physics, these subjects are preparing me for the busy workload of a university degree and provide me with insurance that a highly scientific degree is the right degree for me, Advanced Higher will provide me with an opportunity to think logically and rationally and conducting individual research with regards to the projects which give me a little insight as how it can relate to research projects in a scientific degree. My consistent punctuality and attendance rate in school portrays strong dedication to learning.

Within school I have taken up a number of activities this year. Actively taken the role of a prefect gives me sense of responsibility and acts as inspiration to the younger students by leading a strong example of excellence. I am currently taking part in a buddying system which allows me to befriend younger students and help them to feel comfortable at school, Soup Run is another activity which allows me to express my caring nature towards people in need. Outside of school I am currently volunteering twice a week at a local charity shop ( Barnardos), this allows me to be proactive in my community and help towards a good cause. It has helped me increase my customer communication skills which are vital as a pharmacist, where customer communication is of paramount importance in dispensing the correct medicine and advising the patient to effectively use the medication regarding their illness.

A week's work experience in a community Pharmacy was extremely beneficial as it increased my insight into the field and helped me gain a clear understanding of what the job involves, in terms of the management of a pharmacy and customer interaction. I also gained valuable skills by being able to interpret prescriptions, manage different drug orders and appreciating the fact that a Pharmacy is mainly busy and a calm and collective character should be portrayed at all times. As a personal goal I would enjoy working in a hospital to be part of the healthcare team, providing assistance to the other staff in order to run the health service efficiently with a clear role to play. My academic studies are balanced through playing cricket for a local team, working as part of a team where everyone has a specific role to play. Alongside Cricket, Taekwondo is a martial art which I have been practicing for three years now. It allows me to feel confident in my own natural ability in a variety of different aspects of life.

As an enthusiastic and self motivated student I am determined to succeed at university and reach my potential as a strong student of Pharmacy. Furthermore, the degree granting me a passport to be part of and to contribute my efforts to the National Health Service.

• University of Strathclyde (Pharmacy)
  • University of Strathclyde (Medicinal Chemistry)
  • Robert Gordon University (Pharmacy)
  • University of Glasgow (Medicinal Chemistry)
  • University of Edinburgh (Chemistry)