Personal Statement:Philosophy 2

Philosophy Personal Statement

Philosophy was once considered to be the domain of the upper class, bearded male, discussing the woes of the world in a room thick with cigar smoke. Through acknowledging the reality that I do not fit into one such domain, leads me to conclude that it can no longer hampered by such constrictive categories. My love of philosophy is deeply rooted within my ever-present need to pose questions regarding such presumptions. I find a strong allure in probing logic and searching for meaning -if indeed such a thing can exist

I find the study of aesthetics particularly enthralling, particularly the way that it may be used to justify purpose through regularity and beauty within nature and the universe. Despite having a compelling argument, the ultimate flaw in the appreciation of beauty is to pose the question of where this perception primarily emerged. How can it be an innate or 'a priori' experience when appreciation is so often based on cultural background? This suggestion of purpose implies that human freedom may not be quite what it seems. The concept of free will is something that I am passionate about. A force higher than my understanding may be governing my actions, suggesting the words that pave their way onto the paper; perhaps it is merely a collection of uncaused moments which have brought me here. I question whether humanity can ever reason beyond its ability to rationalise

Spending much of my childhood abroad and early schooling in a Muslim school in Turkey has raised my awareness of the incredible diversity of societies first hand. I am fascinated by the comparisons and contradictions between cultures which appear to be based on mere geography. This calls into question the entire concept of humanity; independent development of the individual mind is so often juxtaposed by a sub-conscious need to conform. One is often left to ponder whether in fact there remains such a thing as the individual. I have found authors such as Jeanette Winterson particularly inspirational within this subject matter. She questions norms of society, focusing particularly on gender. She corrupts traditional cultural forms like fairy stories and cultural myths to demonstrate their invention as mere tools of socialisation. For me, sociology often probes with such depth than philosophy, as it asks what makes one primarily pose such questions. Do they derive straight from the mind? If so, what has created such a mind? What moment in time has made one stop and ask the most seemingly simplistic question, to which an answer cannot exist; why? I have a wide range of interests and activities at school; I am always busy and very sociable! These include school debating and the school magazine committee, which have certainly given me the confidence to voice my own opinions in a more constructive and structured manner. I recently went to Lourdes on an HCPT project, involving voluntary work with handicapped and terminally ill children who came on this pilgrimage for respite. Despite not being Catholic, I attended the masses and was intrigued by thoughts of what perhaps I would believe, had I been brought up within such a household. I found it fascinating to observe how powerful faith can be

Whilst it would be naïve of me to assume the ability to discover answers, I can still gain further insights into the world around me by examining further cultures and beliefs. For me, it is philosophy which is the key to the locked door; yet the social sciences which must first guide this seemingly blind woman to the keyhole.

"For me, sociology often probes with such depth than philosophy, as it asks what makes one primarily pose such questions."

I hope you changed the "such depth than philosophy" part as it doesn't make sense!

It seems quite a smooth statement to read but the ending is a tad pretentious!