Personal Statement:Philosophy 7

Philosophy Personal Statement

I hold Philosophy to be an invaluable means of extricating myself from the fashions and prejudices of our time. It is the highest pleasure; beginning beyond the boundaries of our society in order to help question assumptions and develop new thought- an essential feature for human flourishing. Although originally I felt that the confluence of ethical and metaphysical principles in the Bible provided ample basis on which to feel satisfied, it is my unwillingness to accept putative truths that led me to become frustrated with the constraints of religious thought. This has left me with a fierce desire for more ideas and knowledge, and has inspired my wish to study Philosophy.

The works of Greek philosophers, such as Plato's Theory of Forms, introduced me to the excitement of attempting to unravel our existence. I was intrigued by the philosophical antiquity but wanted to explore ideas within modern thought; where I was guided to the analytic philosophical tradition- with Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy" as an inspiring introduction. This logical, systematic approach to the quest for knowledge beyond our experiences was particularly interesting in light of my study of the Philosophy of Language at A level, as Russell wrote with clarity in mind. I have since come to agree with Wittgenstein's assertion that it is essential to command a "clear view of the use of language" in order to prevent ambiguities and meaninglessness.

"Only connect..." Glover's "Morality in the Twentieth Century" also led me to consider the change in ethical standards during this period and the psychological transitions people make in times of inequity; presenting the possibility that we have no natural moral disposition. Combined with Searle's "The Mystery of Consciousness" it occurred to me that perhaps consciousness is not divine, or that which distinguishes humans from animals, but merely an elevated neurobiological state. This may indeed negate the value of ethics as the search for an objective truth; instead asking whether morality is the imposition of a social contract, dependent on each person's "blik". Just such connections between the different strands of philosophy are part of what intrigues me and I hope to explore many more of these.

I relish debate and discussion, believing that much can be gained from analysing other people's beliefs. Since joining South Wilts in lower sixth I have taken an active role in the school, founding the Philosophy Society, becoming a committee member in Book Club and undertaking roles such as Lower Sixth Prefect and Form Captain. Both Philosophy Society and Book Club have shown me the importance of coherent communication, individual thinking and of reading books in context. The skills involved with running Philosophy Society involve time management, delegation and public speaking- as well as being willing to listen to all perspectives before coming to a considered decision. Through these activities, as well as my time studying English Literature and History, I have developed my skills of analysis- learning to seek out the fine differences in meaning in text. My success in the study of Philosophy is reflected in my receiving the Gifted and Talented Religious Studies prize at GCSE and maximum marks in both the Philosophy and Ethics exam and my coursework on Marx.

I have reached grade 6 standard on tenor saxophone and clarinet. I enjoy being a member of the Salisbury Young Musicians' Senior Jazz Band and Senior Wind Band, as well as my own saxophone quartet.

Philosophy excites me in a way that no other discipline can. Its enquiries are the most important ones we have, questioning the assumptions that every other sphere takes for granted. It is the excitement felt the first time you realise a mere fraction of the size of the universe or the length of eternity, or the importance of whether God exists or not. These feelings encapsulate why I love philosophy and why I am ready to take my study to the highest level.

• Durham - conditional AAB Firm
  • Cambridge - pooled & rejected
  • UCL - conditional AAA
  • St. Andrews - rejected
  • Warwick - conditional AAB