Personal Statement:Physics 30

Physics Personal Statement

I was always a top student at school and I liked my subjects. I quite suddenly found my greatest interest in Physics and secondly in Maths. As I started to study Physics further, this passion was strongly confirmed when I visited some top universities' Physics departments. I watched TV programs such as "Engineering Connection"," Bang Goes the Theory" , and then I went deeper through "The Big Bang Machine" by Prof. Brian Cox, the book "The End of Time" by Mr Julian Barbour, and a meeting I had with Dr Laura Kormos from university of Lancaster which gave me a better understanding of Particle Physics. Then it started to develop. My mind was full of questions about how does the LHC work? Time? Gravity? The Big Bang? Does Higgs Boson really exist? as a consequence of that how everything relating to them can be understood, or how can model a explain everything. I do like to discuss physical phenomena. Therefore quite often when I am talking to my Further Maths or Physics teacher I end up with long discussion about Physics. Also as a result of this interest I am tutoring AS Physics to my friends with the College's approval which is a great opportunity for a Physics debate. I love researching the topics that I am interested in, and gathering bits of information from the Internet, books, tutors and videos. My main interest is "The Theory of Everything" and how the best scientists in the world such as, Albert Einstein with his theory of relativity, try to explain a mechanism for everything. When I search, I feel that I am getting lost, and it's because I see while the universe is significantly complicated, it has been designed in such way that its complexity does not increase its entropy, as it makes everything work in the most harmonic way. Thinking about all of this makes me feel where actually I am and each time I try to discover new things in Physics I feel like I have a clearer picture of the universe. I have learnt one important lesson from Physics : initially it does not matter that we are able to understand what different things are, but it is important how to use them. For instance, we do not know what light is but we know how to use it, and the same thing with gravity. After that you are approaching the absolute understanding of it, thus you should be brave enough like Gerolamo Cardano and not be afraid of its difficulty. During my school time I was involved in many activities. These activities includes a student robotic team that I joined and we won several national awards including the first place in the robotic competition of the Iranian Inventor's Society in the field of "Fighter Robots". Team work is also very important for me; I established a magazine publication in my secondary school, which taught me cooperation and management. Working on magazines opened up a window to the world of IT and the Internet. Thanks to the opening of the IT section of my high school, I started to help the school as the head of the section. This was a great opportunity to improve my IT knowledge, which I then used to join it with Physics by the idea of a virtual Physics lab through linked computers in IT lab. As a consequence I was able to participate in upper level Physics activities. I am also interested in Basketball and listening to Classical music and Dance music. I do like to watch comedy shows or films as I am a cheerful person. I strongly believe that I should make goals and aim to achieve them. These goals motivate me to follow my plan. My general goal in my life is to learn to use my knowledge of science in order to help others.

• University of Birmingham (Physics Mci) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • University of Lancaster (Physics Mci) - Offer (AAA)
  • University College of London (Physics Mci) - Offer (AAB) Insurance/Firm
  • University of Sussex (Physics Mci) - Offer (AAB) Insurance/Firm
  • University of Cambridge (natural sciences) - Rejection

• PURE MATHS (AS) - Grade A
  • FURTHER MATHS (AS) - Grade A
  • PHYSICS (AS) - Grade A
  • ECONOMICS (AS) - Grade B

I'm doing A2 now with M345 as my further maths course

Its generally advisable to demostrate excellence via citing your personal achievements and weaving them into a narrative that shows how you've become enthralled by your chosen subject; "I've always been a top student" doesn't really qualify as a substantiated claim in itself.