Personal Statement:Physics with Theoretical Physics 1

Physics with Theoretical Physics Personal Statement

That something as simple as a group of numbers can be manipulated by equations and formulae into a pattern that can describe aspects of our universe is one of the defining properties of physics that, to me, makes it the most beautiful subject - the one to which I want to dedicate my education and time. Development of partial differentiation has left us with the Navier-Stokes equation; Maxwell's wave equations and Einstein's theory of general relativity have led us to ideas which act as the basis of quantum gravity, yet despite the time difference from now to when these ideas were first suggested, their beauty and brilliance are still celebrated today. It excites me to think that one day I could be building on these ideas to answer today's Big Questions, and that in the future my research will be celebrated in the same way.

Despite studying physics and mathematics at GCSE and A-level, and enjoying both, the content of the courses did not fully satiate my interest in the subjects, so I took it upon myself to read further. I started with 'The Universe in a Nutshell' by Stephen Hawking, which gave me a wide scope into various areas of physics, and this led me on to reading books about some of those areas: 'Why does E=mc2' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw introduced me to a more thorough understanding of special relativity, its origins and implications. 'The Quantum Story' by Jim Baggott gave me an incredibly detailed account of the history and research into quantum mechanics, and after having my interest piqued by quantum electrodynamics, I read 'QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter' by Richard Feynman, which gave me such an appreciation and love for one of the most fundamental forms of physics, and completely confirmed my interest in the field. After reading 'Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities' I found that I was captivated by the theoretical and mathematical basis of physics. I then went on to read '17 Equations that Changed the World', also by Ian Stewart, as I enjoyed his writing and wanted to read more into the strong relationship between maths and physics.

Not only has further reading broadened my knowledge of the subject, but I have also participated in the AS Physics Olympiad, and I did an Extended Project Qualification, for which I was awarded an A* grade. My focus was on whether we should believe the Copenhagen or Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics, and it involved researching at a level that was further than just reading science books, which is relevant for the sort of work involved in taking a degree. Not only this, but my EPQ taught me valuable skills such as strict time management, as I was balancing the work with my school work, revision for my AS mock exams, and a part-time job. One of the most valuable things I learned was how to stay determined and self-motivated when doing high-demand work. I am aware that independent learning is prominent in a degree course, and I think that my EPQ has given me great insight into that, and preparation for when it comes. My part-time job, which I have had for two years, has taught me how to prioritise activities, and balance out work with both social activities and getting enough rest. It has also provided me with the communication skills, and the ability to work as part of a team, which self-study cannot.

Physics, and its mathematical basis, can describe the most fundamental laws of our existence, and with an appreciation for it that I can compare to no other subject, my excitement to learn more about the ever-evolving world of physics has made me sure that it is the perfect course for me.

• Imperial College London (MSci Physics with Theoretical Physics) - Offer (A*A*A) Firm
  • University College London (MSci Physics) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • University of Bath (MSci Mathematics and Physics) - Offer (A*AA)
  • University of Sheffield (MSci Theoretical Physics) - Offer, but withdrew application before finding out the conditions
  • University of Oxford (MSci Physics) - Rejection

• Physics (A2) - A
  • Chemistry (A2) - A
  • Maths (A2) - B
  • German (AS) - C
  • Extended Project Qualification (A2) - A*

My predicted A-level grades were A*A*A (Phys, Maths, Chem respectively), however due to being incredibly ill over the exam period without a doctor's note, I lost both of my places at Imperial and UCL. Instead I got an offer from King's College London, where I am now studying MSci Physics with Theoretical Physics.