Personal Statement:Politics and English 1

Politics and English Personal Statement

At university I propose to study a joint honours degree in Politics and English thus intertwine all the skills I have invaluably learnt at A level

My effervescent personality comes into its own in my English studies

Here I can be absorbed into a faery world - I am my own Titania - and I feel able to see the world through my own dimensions. This does not however distance me from the occasionally gritty realities of life

Because of my perceptive and articulate nature I have also been privileged to interpret writing from many different points of view

On the other hand, Chemistry anchors me to the world of physical tendencies; grounding me and bringing me back from the floating world of imagery and literature. These courses have helped discipline me and in turn have helped me become much more rigorous in my approach towards English and History

I feel I have huge potential in the study of History. My desire to interpret the world is kept more factual and I am working to continually mature and adapt the style of my work to suit my own individual interests and approach to the subject matter. My understanding of why people do what they do is expanding and allied to my study of English I feel strongly that this has helped me in becoming myself

So far during my school career I have received awards for outstanding performance in Geography, English and Sport, and Theatre, which prove my academic flair, athletic ability and theatrical potential. I have represented Cumbria at hockey, swimming, high jump and netball, and the North of England in synchronized swimming; I am confident that I now have the qualities of a mature, assertive team leader. I have been successful both as a senior prefect and captain of various sports teams. My team-building qualifications, amassed from the various residential courses I have attended, and leadership of my successful Young Enterprise business, "Firefly" candle manufactures, have all been invaluable to my practice as a swimming teacher. I am confident that politics will bring together my social and academic skills and team-leading prowess

The expressive arts have helped me develop another dimension both to my personality and to my interests. My appearances as an actress in numerous plays (the most recent being in 'Billy Liar' in June and July of this year for a local theatre company) have given me self-confidence and a genuine passion for performance art. As a musician I have recently passed Grade 7 flute. I play both in the senior flute choir and a local orchestra where I play first flute

Possibly my proudest attainment to date is the publishing of my poetry. Currently I have had two of my poems published and indeed I am told that I have been regarded as 'world amateur poet semi-finalist' by the organisation 'Poetry.com'

I have great ambitions, and the self-determination to carry me through a challenging university degree. If I am successful in obtaining the offer of a university place, I intend to defer my entry. I have made plans to travel to Europe and Asia to broaden cultural horizons and to teach as a volunteer worker. Travel has always held a magical allure for me, and I am looking forward to the chance to experience different cultures and ways of life. I feel the experiences will enlighten me and help me focus on my future at university and beyond

I have always had a keen interest in all four disciplines indicated

In English, I can show flair. In History I like to argue. Politics may bring out both of these qualities. I am enwrapped in international relations and see urgency for morality, honesty and a deep understanding to prevail in our world. My organised approach and sparkling charisma will be enhanced through university life. I want a chance to prove myself and attain the career I have dreamt of since infancy so to make any difference in other peoples lives, be it through a media, politics or a combination of the two mediums.

This is a shortened version of Personal Statement:Politics and English 2