Personal Statement:Politics and International Relations 3

Politics and International Relations Personal Statement

Whilst undertaking work experience with Richard Benyon, my local MP, I was sitting in on a surgery session when an old-age pensioner brought up the issue of roadworks at the end of her road which meant that she was unable to make a trip to the shops. Seeing my MP deal with this problem and discuss a way to improve the situation showed me how politics can function on a micro level and how much of an impact it can have on people's lives, as well as the importance of an MP in the local community.

This work experience opportunity allowed me to see the role of an MP in their local community as well as in their ministerial and parliamentary responsibilities. In addition it gave me the opportunity to participate in an MP's daily life, meeting constituents, visiting a local primary school and opening a local office complex. I also undertook work experience with West Berkshire Council. This helped to provide me with an insight into how local government works and the financial constraints imposed on local councils and the budgetary decisions which have to be made in order to serve the local community. In addition, I have also attended debates at the Houses of Parliament in the Strangers' Gallery.

I have enjoyed reading political memoirs, such as The End Of The Party by Andrew Rawnsley. This memoir allowed me to gain a better understanding of the difficulties involved in running a country as well as the problems with the political system, especially with regard to accountability of the government and the ability of the government to make important decisions, such as whether to go to war, without prior consultation of the electorate.

I recently read a biography called A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah about his struggle as a child soldier in Sierra Leone during the Civil War. This biography showed me how the lack of a strong, cohesive government can cause such turmoil. It also raises the question of how such an atrocious conflict could have gone on for so long without Western intervention.

My dedication to the study of politics has been pursued through attending lectures by many world-renouned lecturers, including: Lord Mark Malloch-Brown, a Labour Cabinet advisor; General Jasper Singh-Lidder, a former Indian Army and United Nations General; Dr.Robin Niblett, Director of Chatham House; Frank Gardner, BBC Security Correspondent; General Sir Peter Wall, head of the British Army; Sir Stewart Eldon, former UK ambassador to NATO and Michael Ancram, former MP for Devizes.

I have participated in a wide range of sports, including football, rugby and cricket as well as fencing, shooting and badminton. In addition to this I have completed a number of sponsored events for charity covering 40 miles in total and benefitting Macmillan's Cancer Research, the Marlborough Brandt Group, Breakthrough Breast Cancer and the Air Ambulance Service

As well as participating in numerous sports I was a member of the Combined Cadet Force for 3 years, rising to the rank of Lance-Corporal. This helped to improve my leadership skills through a number of military field days, practices and challenges.

While continuing my study of politics, I hope to be able to contribute to all areas of university life through a thirst for knowledge; debate and discussion of global current affairs as well as through an active social life

• University of Exeter (Politics) - Offer (AAB)
  • Nottingham University (European Politics) - Offer (ABB) Firm
  • Newcastle University (Politics) - Offer (ABB)
  • Birmingham University (International Relations) - Offer (ABB)
  • Loughborough University (International Relations) - Offer (BBB/ABC) Insurance

• Maths (A2) -B
  • History (A2) - B
  • Economics (A2) - B
  • Politics (A2) - B