Personal Statement:Psychology 25 - The Student Room

Psychology Personal Statement

Psychological factors affect a person's everyday life, whether it is a minor stressor such as getting to work on time or a negative childhood experience, we are all exposed to factors which determine the type of person you are. The fact such experiences are powerful enough to change the way a person behaves and acts is why I have developed a strong interest in this subject. By studying a degree in psychology I hope to broaden my knowledge of the subject and I hope to eventually pursue a career in the NHS as a clinical psychologist.

My interest for psychology emerged during my A level course, I was intrigued by the power of psychological influence that was shown in Milgram's study of obedience, which demonstrates how ordinary people are astonishingly capable of causing physical harm to someone. My AS studies have enabled me to gain knowledge of how psychology is applied to the world. I realise how behaviours are learnt through classical and operant conditioning and how children form different types of attachments towards their primary care giver within days of being born. I built a better understanding of how our memory works and how culture and other important factors can affect a child's emotional well-being. I really enjoy studying psychology because the information I learn is useful in real life, for example learning how to improve memory helps in my exams. I have also completed some work experience at a primary school where I worked in a reception class. This gave me the chance to see how the children interact and communicate with each other and myself. One thing I noticed was the male children warmed to me more than the females, I believe this was because we had something in common, being male, and children saw me as a role model thus reinforcing vicarious learning.

The study of media technologies has helped me develop skills in researching vital information and identify how important it is to meet deadlines. An insight into business theories and ideas helped me understand the techniques used to attract customers and how they prove effective. The study of language allows me to adapt and use sufficient terms to constructively edit and formalise my essays and experiments.

Through my appointment as Marketing Director in our Young Enterprise group, I have been able to demonstrate my ability to research and develop ideas. My participation in a management conference has allowed me to develop my confidence and learn the effeteness of working as a team. I also was part of the prom committee where I had to help organise the venue and food arrangements, this experience allowed me to practice my time management and organisation skills.

I currently work weekends in retail where I tend to customers. My commitment at work shows that I am can effectively keep a balance between my work and academic life. In my leisure time I prefer to read, some of my favourite authors are 'Robert Muchamore' and 'Anthony Horrowitz', because they portray the emotions of the characters vividly. I also took part in a gala to help raise money for 'Breast Cancer' and 'Cancer Research' because playing an active role by volunteering in community projects such as Himmat. Some of my other hobbies include socialising with friends and trying new experiences such as skiing and bungee jumping.

I am eager to embark on a psychology degree, as it will give me the opportunity to develop new academic skills and further my insight into the human mind. I understand the difficulties involved in studying at university but my sheer determination to succeed will help keep me motivated.

• University of Leeds (Psychology)
  • Lancaster University (Psychology)
  • Newcastle University (Psychology)
  • University of Hull (Psychology)
  • Aston University (Psychology)

• Unknown