Climate change and international development degree personal statement example (1a) Masters, Sheffield offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Climate change is arguably the most important and immediate issue of my generation. Academics, advocates and the IPCC make it alarmingly clear that the least developed countries and small islands are increasingly and disproportionately feeling the adverse effects of climate change. Some add that these countries’ vulnerability is compounded by their lack of well-funded, highly-skilled teams with which to participate in complex negotiations. This uneven playing field deeply concerns me and I feel compelled to pursue a path in which I can influence environmental policy so as to protect and empower the poor. I aspire to work towards achieving sustainable and just development in the global south.

In 2013, I volunteered with a school in a coastal town hit by the 2004 Tsunami in Chennai, India. I visited slum dwellers who were still rebuilding their once shattered communities, even nine years later and was struck by the scale of the disaster’s impact on the poor. It is a huge challenge to bring this human vulnerability into the collective conscious and climate negotiations and arguments about causal links move slowly and without sufficient recognition. I quickly realised that I had to engage in a dialogue that puts the rights of affected populations at its centre. I now follow closely those who campaign for climate justice, including Mary Robinson and Professor Lord Stern. They emphasise the need for the Sustainable Development Goals to address strongly the human impacts of environmental change and I am hopeful that this will transpire.

Whilst strengthening the resilience of at-risk groups is crucial, adaptation also urgently requires addressing unavoidable mass migration and displacement. Rising sea levels will cause countries such as the Maldives and Tuvalu to become uninhabitable, forcing populations to flee. There is a pressing need to distinguish between ‘climate migrant’ and ‘climate refugee’ so as to avoid a protection gap and potential mass violation of human rights. I aim to contribute to this agenda.

The School of International Development at UEA is world renowned and to study here would be a dream. The school’s close relationship with the Tyndall Centre provides unrivalled networking opportunities, whilst the programme is attractive for its fantastic, large range of modules. The potential for students to participate in a UNFCCC meeting is exceptional and immensely valuable. This degree would certainly equip me with the specialist knowledge, skills and experience to realise my ambition of influencing environmental policy within a development context. ////

The Department of Geography at Sheffield University is world renowned and to study here would be a dream. The programme is attractive for its interdisciplinary approach and for its Enhanced Language module – an opportunity for me to develop my Spanish, thus adding to my useful skills for international work. I am especially attracted by the invaluable 10-day fieldtrip and the placement-based dissertation, which will build on my practical experience in India and elsewhere. This application of research skills would enhance my appreciation of the real world challenges in climate change work, whilst equipping me well for work in the field.

Through my active membership of Brighton and Hove Labour Party, I have worked closely with councillors and a parliamentary candidate to understand policy and government. I have also been involved in actions to freeze energy bills and protect air quality monitors. This experience will aid me on the course and I will continue my political activism with Sheffield's / UEA’s Labour Society.

An insatiable curiosity of the world has taken me to over 20 countries and I have worked and studied abroad. I follow current affairs closely and subscribe to National Geographic Magazine. I also have an acute awareness of some of the challenges faced by marginalised groups having worked with Gypsies, Travellers, disabled, homeless and trafficked people. Complimented by my strong social science academic background, these experiences ensure I will offer rich, vibrant perspectives to discussions. Having attained a first-class joint honours in my bachelor’s degree whilst successfully balancing employment and internships, I am confident that I will thrive in a rigorous postgraduate environment. I look forward to joining your 2014 cohort!

• UEA (MSc Climate Change and International Development) - Offer
  • University of Sheffield (Environmental Change and International Development) - Offer - ACCEPTED

• BSc Psychology and Social Anthropology with professional development (First Class Hons.)
  • Psychology (A2) - B
  • Business Studies (A2) - C
  • English Literature (A2) - B