Things you wish you could write in your personal statement

Getting frustrated writing your personal statement? Ever wish you could let it all out and tell the admissions tutor why you really want to go to uni? Don't worry, you're not the only one. 

Here are the things that you actually want to write, but never do.

On your passion for learning and your subject

What you write: As a child, I had a deep curiosity about the world around me. 

What you really want to say: "... but not anymore!"

Mehrdad jafari

What you write: I've chosen this subject because I feel it comes naturally to me and I enjoy studying it in my spare time. 

What you really want to say: "Please give me a low offer, I can't be arsed to revise."

Ryanx623

What you write: I am fascinated by the history of earth and how the study of naturally occurring solid aggregates of minerals and/or minaraloids can reveal so much about it. I have long been interested in observing the strata of our planet, how techtonic plates move in the lithosphere and want to study this at a higher level at university. 

What you really want to say: "I like rocks. You teach rocks. Do we have an agreement?"

TardigradeFan

turtle

On why you want to go to uni

What you write:Working in a full time job has equipped me with good life skills, so I feel I am now ready to go back in to full time study.

What you really want to say: "The world scares me. Please accept me so I can hide in libraries forever."

Snufkin

What you write: I want to study at university to broaden my horizons and gain new experiences. 

What you really want to say: "Please give me an excuse to leave this crappy village. Also, I quite like neuroscience."

Laurasaur

What you write: I'm passionate about learning and would love to be able to continue my studies at a higher level. 

What you really want to say: "I just want to go because I’m bored at home and my school won’t accommodate me unless I plan on repeating the year."

MrInsanity

On your extra-curriculars

What you write: I was a prefect in sixth form, which helped me to develop my interpersonal and leadership skills. 

What you really want to say: "I didn't really do anything useful as a prefect, but I occasionally got a free lunch so I guess it was worth it?"

NinjaNerdfighter

What you write: I always actively take part in sixth form events and this has helped me gain good skills to bring to my study. 

What you really want to say: "I have helped out at several college open evenings so it looks like I'm actually doing something beneficial."

Craig1998

Hamster

On your future dreams

What you write: I realised I wanted to become a doctor when I was around 12 and have been working towards that goal since then. 

What you really want to say: "The moment came in year 8 science in a lesson about hydraulics, when I was dicking about with a plastic syringe and decided I felt super professional whilst using it"

lightwoXd

What you write: I've chosen to do this degree because I am passionate about the subject and it will help me achieve my life long dream of having a successful career in investment banking. 

What you really want to say:"I would much rather be studying neuroscience or something, but then that means I'd have no job."

bekinwari

On your personal qualities

What you write: I am a very determined individual and I always strive to achieve my goals and do well. 

What you really want to say: "Once, I ate 10 packets of Rolos just to impress a girl. Afterwards, I did feel rather sick but I believe that this shows my drive to get the job done"

Patrick Gekko

What you write: I've developed a love of writing throughout sixth form and would like to become an author or hard hitting journalist, this is why I've chosen a degree in English Literature. 

What you really want to say: "I cannot guarantee that I did not write this personal statement in a pool of my own tears, Ritz crackers and a rather dubious mix of Red Bull and vodka. I cannot guarantee that my University essays will not be written in a similar fashion."

Elen90

What you write: I've always applied myself at school and college so that I can go on to study at university level. 

What you really want to say: "I haven't had a decent night's sleep since starting GCSE. Sorry for any grammatical errors. I'm exhausted."

Scitty

More on TSR: 
If personal statements were honest: let off steam here 
Plagiarism and personal statements 
How to have it all at uni