Personal Statement:Veterinary medicine gateway 1 - The Student Room

Veterinary Medicine Personal Statement

Growing up, science has always been the subject that has fascinated me most. From the complexity of the solar system to the structure of an animal cell, the urge to understand everything down to the fine details has resulted in hours of research outside of school; I cannot accept that something happens without fully understanding why. A level biology intrigued me and practical dissection lessons provided essential hands on experience that reinforced text book learning; practical exploration is how I learn best. The exciting prospect of combining my love of practical science, my caring nature and the ability to talk confidently to people in a job sparked my interest in Veterinary medicine. Once I started volunteering, I knew it was the right job for me.

Since visiting the zoo as a child, wild animals have been a love of mine. I arranged a two week placement at Banham Zoo where I experienced a range of work. I worked alongside keepers cleaning animal houses, providing animal enrichment and preparing food, widening my range of animal husbandry experience.

I also undertook a placement at an exotic veterinary surgery where I worked with several species for the first time. Numerous tortoises were admitted; during this week I learnt a lot about the husbandry and nutritional needs of reptiles. I observed the insertion of feeding tubes and the injecting of antibiotics and assisted with bathing, X-raying and nebulising several animals. During this time I became aware that it is sometimes more humane to have an animal euthanised and I was very impressed with the sensitivity shown by the vets when explaining this concept to an owner. I have also experienced a week at a small animal practice and one at a mixed equine practice. I observed spays, castrations, dentistry and vaccinations. Whilst on-call with the equine vet, I saw the delicate removal of a lavage system from a mare's eye. After months of discomfort and infection the owner and the vet discussed the imminent removal of the eye. It became apparent how empathetic, but rational vets need to be and that they need to have excellent communication skills.

Regular volunteering at stables, two days with a livestock vet and two days at an animal sanctuary have developed my farm and equine animal husbandry skills. I have arranged a four week live in placement on a farm at the end of October. During this time I will experience working with the dairy herd, the husbandry of various animals and calving. This will give me hands-on neonatal experience. I've spent two weeks at a bird sanctuary and one week at a pet shop volunteering at weekends to give myself a broader view of animal welfare. I've also recently become a home visitor for the RSPCA; this requires the ability to show compassion for pets being re-homed, and their potential owners.

In my free time, I'm dedicated to volunteering. I regularly supervise tubing sessions at the Norfolk Snowsports Club and help at the local Toy Library for 0- 5 year old children. I've been a Rainbow Guide leader for two years and have completed my adult leader qualification, this had helped me gain my V100 award. In my gap year, as well as working and volunteering, I am teaching myself Polish; this language takes a lot of dedication, but I know that I will become fluent. I'll also be completing my three month Scientific Research Internship at the John Innes Centre. I am actively involved in DNA sequencing, crossing plant species, tracking cell development and attended the Annual Science Meeting. These microscopy and laboratory skills and the ability to process raw data will help prepare me for the laboratory elements of Veterinary Medicine.

• Royal Veterinary College (D190 Veterinary Medicine with Gateway year) -
  • Nottingham University (D190 Veterinary Medicine with Gateway year) - Rejection
  • Royal Veterinary College (D300 Bioveterinary Science) - Conditional Offer (BBB)
  • Lincoln University (D300 Bioveterinary Science) - Conditional Offer (BBC)
  • Nottingham Trent (D301 Animal Biology) - Offer (BCC)

• Biology (A2) - B
  • Chemistry (A2) - C
  • Maths (A2) - C
  • EPQ (AS) - b

[[Category:Veterinary Science Personal Statements|Veterinary Medicine Gateway 001]