Personal Statement:Veterinary science 10 - The Student Room

Veterinary Science Personal Statement

A fascination with the animal kingdom has always held me and the more I learn the more I want to know. The sheer complexity of the working of a living organism, from the size of a microscopic paramecium to the giants of the world such as whales or elephants and the similarities and differences, metabolically, physiologically and psychologically, intrigue me.

My love of study has also lead me towards Veterinary Medicine as it is a constantly changing and developing profession with so much to learn. This has caused me to immerse myself in my A Levels, finding interest in Chemistry, Maths, Psychology and particularly Biology. I am particularly interested in the central nervous system and how nerve impulses can be transmitted.

For six years now I have been working as an apprentice to a local horse trainer. We work with young and problem horses, reforming animals that have run into difficulties and teaching their owners how best to deal with a wide variety of problems. This has taught me a great deal about handling animals, particularly in potentially dangerous situations. I also have become adept at identifying lameness, treating minor ailments such as cuts and bites, conditions such as bluenose and sweet itch and know how to spot signs of major afflictions such as colic and strangles. Working on local farms has honed my practical abilities and furthered my motivation as I was involved in many essential processes, including drenching and lambing sheep. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and I spent time learning about the care and diet of many more exotic animals whilst spending time at Sparkwell, a local zoo. Jobs included food preparation and dispersion, cleaning cages, and handling a variety of animals. My aspiration to read Veterinary Medicine was boosted further by the time I spent at Veterinary practices, taking part in day to day care and observing both the more common operations, such as spays and neuters, and the more advanced such a hepatectomy. I was fascinated that the dog could still function with such a massive obstruction in her abdomen and that such a large chunk of liver could be removed with so few adverse effects.

Determination and self motivation are qualities I believe I possess and these skills have helped me to complete a 125 mile kayak race, two gruelling Ten Tors expeditions, and am currently undertaking my third Duke of Edinburgh Award. I was also elected onto the sixth form council. Attributes that I have had to demonstrate include organisation, leadership, time management and decisiveness. Teamwork is a key requirement in Veterinary Medicine and I feel I have demonstrated that I am a good team player, having worked on projects such as the organisation of a local music festival, the running of the school climbing club and various charity works such as a sponsored fast for CLIC sargent. In November 2007 I spend two weeks living with a Japanese family in Tokyo. The alien nature of the experience caused me to concentrate on and enhance my communication skills and I also developed empathy and an appreciation for other cultures.

My desire to learn has stretched beyond my academic studies, leading me to gain my one and two star BCU Kayaking Certificates, my Bronze Medallion Life Saving Certificate, a BTEC in Public Services from my time with the Air Training Corpse, and a Red Cross Babysitting Certificate.

All of the attributes I have mentioned should help me to dedicate the long hours required, both in training and through work in the Veterinary Profession and help me to develop the more difficult and essential capabilities such as decisiveness under pressure, self confidence and empathy when working with both people and animals. Although I realise that the course is incredibly challenging, and the competition stiff, I believe that I possess the makings of an innovative, hard working and insightful future vet.

• Bristol University (Veterinary Medicine)
  • University of London (Veterinary Medicine)
  • University of Nottingham (Veterinary Medicine)
  • University of Cambridge (Veterinary Medicine)

• Unknown