Personal Statement:Veterinary Science 22

The molecular interactions responsible for the functioning of such complex biological systems which allow a mass of tissue to move, respire and reproduce captivate me. This interest in the science behind the functioning of a healthy and ill animal is a major motivation for my long-held desire to be a vet. Through studying biology and chemistry at A Level my reasons for studying veterinary science progressed from a genuine concern for the welfare of animals, to a fascination with the biological and chemical processes responsible for all aspects of life. Work experience further confirmed and strengthened my ambition to be a vet. Undertaking a gap year has given me the opportunity to significantly extend my work experience and to date, I have completed 32 weeks. This has developed my basic knowledge of procedural routines, and has allowed me to understand the skills and attributes that successful vets require, such as good dexterity, patience and confidence. Seeing the effects of being called out in the middle of the night and having to work the next day demonstrated the difficult nature of the profession, showing the determination and work ethic that vets require. Also observing a wide range of cases has enabled me to understand how important the exercising of morals and ethics are in veterinary care. During consultations I observed a seemingly palliative approach to certain ailments, such as when treating dermatological issues. My interest in cardiology was inspired by seeing the ECG and ultrasounds in the diagnosis of a canine dilated cardiac myopathy. Similarly, understanding the involvement of the myogenic initiation of heartbeat in the use of an ECG allowed me to link science to practicalities. I also gained insights into the commercial and compassionate balance needed to ensure the long term functioning of the practice. The commercial aspect of the animal industry was further highlighted at a dairy farm deepening my understanding of how costs determined the fate of each calf. For example, a weaker bull calf would be taken to the kennels at an early age whilst a stronger one would be kept for beef. This placement also taught me more about current issues facing the farming industry such as bovine tuberculosis and the Schmallenburg virus. During the routine pregnancy diagnosis with the vet, I was able to apply my A Level biology when shown the corpus luteum. I enjoy making these bridges between the practical element and the scientific reasoning behind it. After this placement I was offered a job milking on a regular basis. Whilst scanning sheep I became used to handling the ewes; something that will be useful on my lambing placement next March. At a kennels and cattery I developed my ability to read their body language and behave accordingly towards them as well as understanding the relationships vets have with businesses; for example, the processes followed if an animal were to die whilst boarding at the kennels. Volunteering on a weekly basis at Cats Protection has improved my knowledge of feline husbandry and enabled me to participate in fundraising. I regularly read around cases I witness on placement and veterinary issues as I feel it is important for vets to keep their knowledge current in such a vast, fast paced and ever-changing scientifically based profession. Reading around the implications of the ever developing use of stem cells in modern veterinary and human medicine, particularly their uses within equine tendon injuries, is just one such example that has intrigued me recently. I feel that it is important to have a range of interests and as an International rider and through completing the Duke of Edinburgh Award, I have learnt how to balance work with training as well as how to perform well under pressure. With my wide range of relevant experiences, strong academic record and genuine passion for the welfare and care of animals, I relish the opportunity of studying veterinary science.

• Bristol - Offer (Unconditional)
  • Royal Veterinary College - Offer (Unconditional)
  • Liverpool - Offer (Unconditional) - Firm Choice
  • Edinburgh - Interview - Rejection

• Biology A2 - A
  • Chemistry A2 - A
  • Psychology A2 - A
  • Mathematics AS - A