**More than ever, dance has become a big business; AUB gives you a chance to perform, produce, create, and collaborate within this ever-changing art form.**
Youâll finish with a degree and the skills to be a dance entrepreneur, capable of thinking about dance in new and relevant ways. Itâs a competitive market, but you are one of a kind and have something great to offer. Weâll help you become a dance professional with an edge.
**What you will learn**
The course aims to provide an experience through which students can develop their potential for a career in dance and related disciplines. This development will be facilitated through a series of specialist units designed to develop progressively the skills required to become a versatile, creative and articulate dance professional. Students will develop their knowledge and understanding of making, performing and viewing work within the contexts of a new and vibrant professional dance centre and a specialist art, design, media and performance university. The course aims to equip students with a set of entrepreneurial, critical and transferable skills and tools to sustain and manage a performing arts practice and work in a variety of settings. The course has a strong technical and practical foundation â offering classes and workshops in Ballet and Pilates as well as Contemporary techniques such as Release, Cunningham, Contact Improvisation and Graham â but also places a strong emphasis on the theoretical and contextual study of dance and the dance industry. In the making of original work, you will consider how form, style and structure can affect content, meaning and audience engagement in a performance event.
You will consider the motives for the creation of material: social, political, educational and commercial, whilst developing key professional skills required for the workplace, such as selecting work to be developed, project management and effective marketing, as well as learning about the structures and policies of dance organisations in the UK, professional standards and codes of conduct.
Approximately 75% of your time will be contact hours, including scheduled teaching sessions, but also supervised time in the workshop or studio, and the remainder will be independent study. 28% of assessment for this course is coursework based and the remaining 72% is performance based.
**By the end of the course you will be able to...**
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the intellectual, imaginative and physical skills needed to be an informed and creative member of the dance sector.
- Demonstrate and articulate your understanding of a wide range of dance contexts and a clear sense of where your own professional strengths lie and how you intend to launch your career in the sector.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the intrinsic relationship between performance, applied dance practice and producing to make work that is sustainable within the current dance industry.
- Articulate your understanding of the complex nature of the performance event, the forms that this may take and the target audience that you wish to reach.
- Collaborate with others effectively in the realisation of a performative and/or participative event within or across disciplines.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of academic protocols, research methodologies and written and verbal presentation skills necessary for effective and successful engagement with work at the higher education level and life beyond university.
- Demonstrate the ability to make informed choices with appropriate understanding and a high degree of independent judgement.
**Studios and resources**
Our degree runs in partnership with Pavilion Dance South West (PDSW) the National Dance Development Organisation for the South West. Based on campus and at PDSW, youâll study in some of the best spaces dedicated to dance in the South.
Coursework and practical work
Application deadline details:
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £16,500
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.