Combine studying a modern language and its associated culture with a study of history. You will be taught by internationally renowned researchers, reflecting the latest trends in the study of history and cultural studies in modern languages.
You will also have the opportunity to study a number of cross-cultural modules which will allow you to explore specific themes across a variety of language-speaking areas.
The programme is also available for full-time evening study over four years, including a year of study abroad, and for part-time evening study over four years or six years.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- This course will enable you to reach near-native standard in your chosen language while also studying fascinating periods and areas of study, from human prehistory through to classical civilisation, the medieval and early modern periods, and on to twenty-first-century history, politics and international relations.
- Our Department of History, Classics and Archaeology is a world-renowned centre of original, influential research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), History at Birkbeck was ranked sixth in the UK for the percentage of our research deemed world-leading or internationally excellent. 94% of our eligible staff submitted research and we achieved 100% for a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- Our Department of Cultures and Languages brings together research and teaching in French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, and institutionalises long-standing links between these disciplines. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Modern Languages and Linguistics achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to producing research of the highest quality.
- Ours is a community of scholars with shared interests in interdisciplinary topics and cross-cultural research. Our affiliated research centres, Birkbeck Research in Aesthetics of Kinship and Community (BRAKC) and the Centre for Iberian and Latin American Visual Studies (CILAVS), provide an important platform for this exchange. We also convene, with other departments, the Birkbeck Eighteenth-Century Research Group.
- The School of Arts is an official partner of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in London. Opportunities for students have included a year's free membership of the ICA, private views, discounts on all talks and events, free members' screenings and £3 cinema tickets on Tuesdays, up to 25% off ICA Artists' Editions and a monthly e-newsletter.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck's online prospectus.
Language modules are assessed by coursework and in-class tests. All other modules are assessed by coursework essays and some also have a May/June examination.
Application deadline details:
A fantastic university! The tutors and support staff were really great, down to earth and approachable and really understanding of the work/life balance that proves a bit hard to juggle! The library was also fantastic, full of resources and with plenty of study space so you can catch up with coursework and so on. There’s a really nice, focussed vibe here and everyone is very welcoming too, which was reassuring. Living in the Intercollegiate halls was also an amazing experience, I met so many new exciting and interesting people doing all sorts of things! I heartily recommend Birkbeck.
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £13,675
I rate my experience at Uni as a 9 out of 10 so far because the course has been enjoyable, I have met new friends, joined clubs as a means of leisure time and learnt so many things in a short period of time
by Anonymous on 30th August 2015
It really allows you to begin you career, and be exposed to such a diverse group of people. Also, many of the professors are world renowned in their fields.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.