This BSc Mathematics with Foundation Year provides a broad education in mathematics and the application of the subject to problems in the natural and social sciences. It covers theoretical aspects, as well as methods and modelling techniques. You will develop a range of mathematical skills, build your confidence and independence in the study of mathematics and develop the knowledge and skills to successfully progress.
This programme will build your confidence and give you the core knowledge and key skills you need to succeed at university. You will also get a taste of the subject area you are interested in and deepen your understanding of the career potential of your chosen subject.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will automatically progress on to our three-year, full-time evening study BSc Mathematics. You need only complete one application and you enrol onto one programme.
- Our Foundation Year programmes will fully prepare you for undergraduate study and are ideal if you returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied the relevant subjects, or if you didn't achieve the grades you need for a place on your chosen undergraduate degree.
- We provide a broad education in the mathematical sciences and their application to commerce and the natural and social sciences. Our courses cover the theoretical background, as well as methods and modelling techniques, and equip you with a wide range of mathematical skills.
- The Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics has an excellent reputation for the quality of its academic research and teaching. We offer a full range of academic programmes in economics, finance, mathematics and statistics and we regularly provide customised training to various public and private sector organisations.
- Mathematical sciences are highly valued by employers, and our graduates go on to successful careers in business and finance, statistics, research and analysis, management, consultancy, and teaching, among many others.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource, where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available. You will also have access to the Birkbeck Library and e-Library where you can obtain books and journal articles required for your studies.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeckâs online prospectus.
Around 80% of assessment consists of unseen examinations. Coursework makes up the remaining 20% and enables you to practise tackling and solving problems independently, without the time pressure of examinations.
Application deadline details:
A fantastic university! The tutors and support staff were really great, down to earth and approachable and really understanding of the work/life balance that proves a bit hard to juggle! The library was also fantastic, full of resources and with plenty of study space so you can catch up with coursework and so on. There’s a really nice, focussed vibe here and everyone is very welcoming too, which was reassuring. Living in the Intercollegiate halls was also an amazing experience, I met so many new exciting and interesting people doing all sorts of things! I heartily recommend Birkbeck.
Provisional for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for International at £13,675
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.