Learning disability nurses play a critical role in improving their patientsâ physical and mental health, reducing barriers to them living an independent life and supporting them to lead a fulfilling and healthy life where they can relate to others on equal terms.
You will have opportunities to actively engage with people with learning disabilities, their families and carers from the outset. Youâll have opportunities to gain hands-on experience under supervision from qualified mentors, spending up to 50% of your time on clinical practice placements in a range of healthcare environments within the NHS in hospitals and community placements, at private hospitals and independent care providers.
- Learning Disabilities Nursing: People with LD across the lifespan. Children and adults with challenging behaviour, children and adults with complex needs, evidence based nursing interventions across diverse settings including NHS, private sector and Local Authorities, residential, domiciliary, respite, prison, police and secure services. Leadership and Management, specialisation in epilepsy, autism, Downs Syndrome and other syndromes, etc.
- Nursing practice: Develops the professional values, attitudes and behaviours required to deliver safe and effective, holistic person centred care. Youâll cover the key concepts of nursing, caring and clinical skills, as well as factors influencing care, for example, National Service Frameworks. Clinical skills acquisition which underpins these care factors will be taught and practiced in the simulated environment of clinical skills laboratories.
- Assessment and care pathways across the lifespan: Develops your ability to assess, interpret and manage a range of care requirements for service users. Youâll be introduced to the concept of health and wellbeing, enabling an understanding of the bio psychosocial needs of your patient group across the life span in all fields of nursing. Youâll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of how assessments support and inform clinical judgement and decision making in practice, explored across primary, secondary and third sector care environments
- Evidence informed practice and decision making: Explores the principles and strategies of Evidence Informed Practice (EIP) to enable you to apply, creatively, a wide range of sources of evidence for clinical decision making. You will be introduced to research perspectives (methodology and design), audit, health policy, and service user participation as methods to evaluate your EIP plans and interventions.
- Communications and professionalism: Communication is highlighted as an essential skill for all health care professionals because it impacts on patient satisfaction. You will have the opportunity to develop the key professional attributes incorporating the six âCâs model of communication, commitment, courage, care, competence, compassion.
For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
Please be aware that some optional modules may require a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
Application deadline details:
This university is the holder of Modern Uni of the year for the past three years and sprawls across the centre of Coventry. Literally hundreds of bars and restaurants are within walking distance, in addition to Coventry's central location making all UK day-trips feasible. Top 15 uni, amazing city... It's Coventry!
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Overall 4, I loved the student city theme, loved the size and the campus along with the quality of student accomodations, I just wish that they would be more transparent regarding some courses so if you are thinking of going to cov uni, ensure you look into the course deeply!
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.