This course aims to provide a thorough understanding of the practise of law in the modern world.
Focusing strongly on EU law, employment law and criminal law, this course covers a broad range of topics, from engaging critically with how employment law has evolved, through to contractual and tortious liability. Further, you develop mooting, advocacy and presentation skills throughout this programme, building a solid foundation for you to become a competent and knowledgeable practitioner of law.
Located on the Coventry University campus, you will have access to our Library & Learning Services (LLS), fully equipped seminar rooms and impressive IT suites. Plus, you can take advantage of reading rights in Coventry Universityâs Lanchester Library, make use of sport centre facilities and receive full membership to Coventry University Studentsâ Union (CUSU).
This course has been developed and is taught by practising professionals and industry experts. Our academics bring a wealth of expertise to the classroom with many continuing to undertake research and other projects alongside teaching, meaning our students gain a well-rounded and relevant teaching experience.
Throughout your studies, you will find that the course is underpinned with practical elements. Previous trips for students include Coventry Magistrates' Court, The Royal Courts of Justice, London, The Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey), London, Houses of Parliament, London, European Parliament, Council of Europe and European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg.
At CU Coventry, we put a strong focus on getting our graduates ready to enter the job market. This can be done in a variety of waysâone key element is work placements. With this degree, you are given the opportunity to undertake short and long-term placements in between the second and third year.
Key course benefits;
- Upon completion of this course, you will receive a qualification awarded by Coventry University, which is ranked 13th best university in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2019. Coventry University were also awarded a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in 2017.
- You will receive support with applying for short and long-term placements, to gain the experience employers desire, with our in-house Careers & Employability department.
- You will have the opportunity for multi-campus learning in Coventry, London and Scarborough.
- In order to make higher education accessible to as many people as possible, we keep our tuition fees competitively priced.
- Small tutorial group sessions ensure that you receive the mentoring help and support you need.
- We deliver one module at a time during each block. This means you can dedicate your time to specialise in each subject without the distraction of numerous modules and multiple deadlines.
All teaching and learning activities across the course are designed to develop academic and non-academic writing skills, research skills, presentational skills, advocacy skills, practical administrative skills and employability skills.
Your main study themes are:
**The English Legal System:** An understanding of the classifications of law into public/private, domestic/European/international and civil/criminal. Key concepts of criminal law and its application to real life scenarios.
**Internationalisation:** Comparative study of other legal systems, such as the European Union or legal systems in other jurisdictions which are also based on English common law.
**Client Care and Practice:** Conducting interviews and best practices, identifying legal problems, customer support and system management and law from the clientsâ perspective.
**Research Methods:** Internet based law research resources, such as Westlaw, LexisNexis and LawTel. Presentation of work through digital media is built into session plans.
For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
Application deadline details:
This university is the holder of Modern Uni of the year for the past three years and sprawls across the centre of Coventry. Literally hundreds of bars and restaurants are within walking distance, in addition to Coventry's central location making all UK day-trips feasible. Top 15 uni, amazing city... It's Coventry!
Overall 4, I loved the student city theme, loved the size and the campus along with the quality of student accomodations, I just wish that they would be more transparent regarding some courses so if you are thinking of going to cov uni, ensure you look into the course deeply!
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.