Extensive use of a range of mathematical software packages including MATLAB and Minitab will enable you to gain valuable experience for future employment.
You will study a broad range of mathematical topics in Year 1, including discrete mathematics, linear algebra, calculus, statistics and decision mathematics. You will also learn how to program in a mathematical language. In Years 2 and 3 you will choose from a range of units to reflect your interests and career aspirations. Typical areas of study include further calculus and linear algebra, numerical methods and modelling, mathematics of computer graphics, number theory, cryptography, operational research, financial mathematics, statistics, digital communications, sound processing, dynamical systems and group theory.
Features and benefits of the course:
- This course has an optional placement year in industry
- 96% of BSc (Hons) Mathematics students say that the staff are good at explaining things.*
- In the 2017 National Student Survey, Manchester Met mathematics students gave this course an overall 96% satisfaction rating.
- You will make extensive use of mathematical software packages such as MATLAB, Minitab and SPSS to solve real-world problems - an experience which is highly sought after by employers.
- Our excellent facilities include fourteen teaching laboratories equipped with high-specification PCs and Apple Macs with specialist, industry-standard software running on either Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
- We have a rolling plan of replacement for both hardware and software to ensure the School keeps up with developments in the world of computing and technology.
- Our degree courses are approved by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics students may transfer to MMath (Hons) Mathematics at the end of their second year Level 5 studies if they achieve a second year average mark at least 60%.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics (Foundation) students may also transfer at the end of Level 5 to MMath (Hons) Mathematics if they satisfy the 60% unit average requirement and a tuition fee loan will be available for all 5 years.
*From 46 (82%) students who responded to the 2017 National Student Survey.
Application deadline details:
My uni is absolutely amazing. It's located in a bubbly and lively area. The streets are pouring with students just like you! With amazing modern facilities and excellent career prospects what else can you ask for! All work and no play makes a very frustrated student, that's why there's always something going on to keep you interested. So if you want the best for you, head on over to MMU! You're Welcome :)
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.