This degree programme gives you a thorough grounding in all aspects of biological sciences, allowing you to develop your own interests and tailor your learning to your career aspirations.
Throughout the course, you will acquire a wealth of practical skills in state-of-the-art laboratories using the latest equipment. You will also have the opportunity to undertake fieldwork both in the UK and overseas. Areas of study include molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, physiology, plant biology, behaviour, population biology, ecology and biodiversity, and conservation.
The option to study in Europe, North America or Australasia gives you the opportunity to expand your horizons and spend the third year at a university overseas. Alternatively, you have the option of spending your third year working on a â€œsandwichâ€ placement in industry or relevant non-governmental organisation (NGO) or other organisation, before returning to Manchester for the final year of your course.
Features and benefits of the course :
- 100% of students are overall satisfied with the BSc (Hons) Biology course. (From 17 (65%) students who responded to the 2017 National Student Survey.)
- The flexible degree courses we offer give you a thorough grounding in relevant aspects of the biological sciences.
- Throughout your course, you will acquire practical skills in the laboratory and in the field, both in the UK and overseas.
- You will explore topics and issues that impact upon our lives and the world around us and there is a range of exciting and rewarding specialisms to choose from.
- You will learn in high specification teaching and research laboratories, which include a specialist microbiology and cell/molecular biology lab, a DNA-sequencing lab, specialist animal behaviour facilities with Ethovision and Observer software, invertebrate behaviour and freshwater biology labs, and controlled environment plant growth chambers. We also have nuclear magnetic resonance, spectrometry and chromatography instrumentation which gives you hands-on experience of advanced analysis techniques.
- The four-year sandwich route gives you the opportunity to undertake a 12-month placement in Year 3 to boost your employment prospects.
- You will have the opportunity to be involved in fieldwork in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America.
Application deadline details:
My uni is absolutely amazing. It's located in a bubbly and lively area. The streets are pouring with students just like you! With amazing modern facilities and excellent career prospects what else can you ask for! All work and no play makes a very frustrated student, that's why there's always something going on to keep you interested. So if you want the best for you, head on over to MMU! You're Welcome :)
It has been an exciting experience, there a bit of a change to how you would usually learn but personal tutors and lecturers make the change easy. There is a lot more freedom in moving to a big city as everything is on your doorstep. I moved away to go to uni and I would recommend it,it means you can't rely on going back home which might seem like a bad thing but it encourages you to get out and do things for yourself.MMU is a great friendly uni with ano even better location.
by Anonymous on 23rd August 2015
Amazing uni. Great facilities with great lecturers and a great place to learn
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.