Combine an understanding of the many ways writers reflect and shape the world around them with the skills to communicate effectively in Modern Standard Arabic and youâll open a whole world of opportunities.
Rise to the challenge of English and youâll set off on an exciting intellectual journey to a future filled with creative possibilities.
This course takes an innovative, modern approach to literature, focusing on drama, prose, fiction and poetry from the 17th century to the present â balancing the traditional with the modern.
Flexibility is key to our approach and as your course progresses youâll be able to choose course units to suit your own particular interests, such as creative writing, film and cultural theory. Or why not focus geographically and culturally on writing from the USA, Ireland, Africa, India and the Caribbean? And in your final year, youâll get a chance to spread your wings with a substantial piece of project work that presents a thesis, building on the skills youâve been developing over previous years.
Our lively department is staffed by internationally renowned writers and critics, and thereâs a strong research culture, creating a learning environment that is both supportive and intellectually challenging. And with our extensive cultural links both in Manchester and further afield, youâll be in the right place to begin building a creative network for your future.
Modern Standard Arabic:
Arabic is spoken as the first language for over 200 million people; it is the official language of 22 countries (bbc.co.uk). The demand for studying Arabic has recently increased due to increased economic opportunities in the Middle East and North Africa.
Admissions from Beginners to GCSE only.
This course has a Foundation Year available.
**Features and Benefits**
- Regular readings, visiting speakers and literary events.
- All strands of our degree programmes offer the opportunity to study abroad for a term.
- The opportunity to be taught by internationally recognised academics in a variety of specialist areas.
- Opportunities to work with acclaimed authors on creative writing in a variety of genres. The Department of English is a large and vibrant community of internationally renowned writers and critics. The department is home to the Manchester Writing School.
- Students have a wealth of opportunities to engage with the many conferences, readings, research programmes, festivals and competitions run by the department, and to build their own networks among our many partners in the dynamic Manchester cultural and creative community.
- Our Language Resource Centre is equipped with wireless laptops, PCs and voice recognition software for language training. It is also home to our multimedia and audio language learning laboratories, media booths for group-work with PCs or large flat screen TVs and multiple satellite channels broadcast in foreign languages with recording facilities.
- The majority of our 30+ academic, research and support staff are native speakers of French, German, Italian, Spanish, Modern Standard Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. We also have multiple connections with language groups across Manchester to ensure you can converse in your chosen language.
Application deadline details:
My uni is absolutely amazing. It's located in a bubbly and lively area. The streets are pouring with students just like you! With amazing modern facilities and excellent career prospects what else can you ask for! All work and no play makes a very frustrated student, that's why there's always something going on to keep you interested. So if you want the best for you, head on over to MMU! You're Welcome :)
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.