**Get ahead in your career as a professional biologist – with a course centred on high-quality teaching, first-rate facilities, cutting-edge research and exciting real-world learning opportunities.**
**WHY STUDY BIOLOGY AT DERBY?**
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology and includes a pathway which is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, so you can be sure that the course provides a solid academic foundation in biological knowledge, key technical abilities, and transferable skills.
- The course is excellent for those with a broad interest in biology wanting to explore both traditional subjects and cutting-edge research-based issues. You'll explore topics ranging from ecology, evolution and genetics through to human biology.
- You can hone your skills in our high-spec laboratories, insectary, aquatic research facility (created in partnership with SeaLife, Birmingham) and dedicated student research lab. Your studies won't be confined to the laboratory as fieldtrips are an essential part of the course - our students have travelled to locations such as Twycross Zoo, Kew Gardens and the Maldives.
- We work closely with organisations such as the Royal Derby Hospital, Sea Life, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, Derby Museums, the Olive Ridley Project and Eurofins. These partnerships pave the way to work experience and internship opportunities where you can apply your skills in real world situations, boosting the knowledge and experience needed to help you stand out in a competitive job market.
- Our teaching team are active researchers whose work is shaping debates in areas such as ecology, entomology and biodiversity, so your learning will be informed by the very latest research and developments in biology.
**WHAT YOU'LL COVER**
- Your first year provides an introduction to some of the key themes you'll need to understand, including evolution, genetics and human biology. Optional modules in your second and third years give you the opportunity to begin tailoring your degree to meet your career aspirations. You will also have opportunities to work in industry. You'll learn through lectures, seminars, tutorials, e-learning, hands-on laboratory practical work and fieldtrips.
**HOW YOU'RE ASSESSED**
- You'll be assessed using a range of written assignments including portfolios, practical and fieldtrip write-ups and data analysis, essays, computer-based assessments, poster presentations and seminar presentations, as well as traditional written examinations.
- Our graduates are now working as research scientists, laboratory and pharmacy technicians, healthcare assistants, medical laboratory assistants and wildlife conservation officers. Others have progressed to teaching and lecturing careers after completing postgraduate study or have advanced to gain veterinary and medical qualifications - 100% of our BSc (Hons) Biology graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing the course (HESA, 2016).
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- You can combine another subject with this course to study a Joint Honours degree.
Application deadline details:
Lovely university, with really great tutors and a really nice layout of three campuses next to town. The nightlife isn’t too amazing in the town, but if you’re in a group you can grab a taxi into Nottingham which will wind up pretty cheap and there’s a big scene there. The St Peters Quarter has lovely little shops to eat into your loan, and I recommend winding up your summers at the Darley Park concert - beautiful music and fireworks!
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £13,250
If you want a bright, modern and upcoming university, Derby is a good place to come to. The support system for students is great, and the SU is brilliant. The level of teaching isn't as high as other universities, and this is unfortunately clear depending on whose lecture you're having, but the level isn't consistently lo - in fact some lectures are fantastic, and for the grades you can get in with, you can't expect much more than that.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.