**This course provides the opportunity for those who have studied an undergraduate degree in a health related subject, to undertake a two-year full-time Master's course and upon successful completion receive eligibility for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). The course helps you to develop the skills required, in order to become a confident, competent, caring and compassionate child nurse in a rapidly changing health and social care environment. This includes developing the vital skills required to care for children, young people and their families whatever their circumstances, including those with acute illness, long-term conditions or those who need help to maintain their health.**
- The course will assist you to develop both practical and theoretical skills, in order to achieve your full potential as a child nurse and meet the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Standards. These include professional values, communication and interpersonal skills, nursing practice and decision making, and leadership, management and team working. The course also teaches you how to respond to the needs of all patients and service users from all fields of nursing including adult, learning disability and mental health
- This challenging and intensive course comprises 50% theory and 50% practice, where you will undertake placements in a range of settings. The course consists of three stages, each comprising of a number of compulsory modules, where you will have the opportunity to study alongside students from the other fields of nursing
- You will be taught by Lecturers who are committed and passionate, as well as mentors who are research active and have extensive and varied experience in child nursing
- Teaching takes place in innovative and contemporary teaching and learning environments, including a fully equipped simulated childrenâs ward, in which you will learn in a safe environment
- Student support will be given from personal tutors and year leaders, as well as academic learning support and experienced mentors in practice
If you are passionate about children and young people, and have the patience, good humour and people skills to care for children, young people and their families, then this course maybe ideal for you.
Stage 1 core modules
Foundations of Nursing
Nursing Practice 1
Stage 2 core modules
Effective Communication and Care Delivery (Child)
Nursing Practice 2
Stage 3 core modules
Nursing Leadership and Management
Nursing Practice 3
Research and Innovation in Nursing Practice
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including written coursework, practice, professional simulated exams, case presentations, competency based assessments and examinations, through which you will demonstrate your in-depth knowledge and understanding.
Your module specification/course handbook will provide full details of the assessment criteria applying to your course.
Application deadline details:
Huddersfield was a challenging and fun experience for me. The lecturers really inspired me to think creatively and forced me to consider new perspectives. The city life is ok, there’s not tonnes of clubbing but you can always hop on the train to Leeds or Manchester for a mad one. I prefer to hang out in the pub after lectures, anyway. There are loads of great facilities here too, the library is particularly amazing. The careers service is also incredibly helpful, I walked straight into a job after graduation!
School of Human and Health Science - Nursing Pre-Registration: Tel. +44 (0)1484 472561
Email. [email protected]
Overall, the university has few faults. There are always friendly faces on and around campus, there are always events and things going on that cater to all interests. The teaching quality is very very high, and lectures are always made to be engaging.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.