**BA (Hons) French and German**
- At least two thirds of native speaker staff, teaching you in French in language' classes as well as mostculture' classes.
- Between 3 and 6 hours of French grammar and conversation every week, in order to reach near-native precision and fluency, running in parallel with optional course units on French and Francophone history, politics, literature, popular culture and/or linguistics, from the Early Modern period to the present.
- Study, work and/or teach during the Year Abroad, including outside of metropolitan France (for instance in Belgium, Switzerland, Martinique and Quebec).
- Long-established partnership with the Alliance FranÃ§aise de Manchester with cultural events throughout the year (film screenings, talks, plays, concerts, exhibitions and intensive language classes).
- Collaboration with the Institut de Touraine in the Loire Valley, hosting Easter and Summer French language classes, appropriate for ab initio students and finalists.
- Gives students a solid grounding in German language and the opportunity to explore in depth German culture, linguistics, history and literature. Equips students with the skills and expertise needed to thrive in German-speaking environments.
- Core German language courses are complemented by a variety of other subject areas, including linguistics, and a wide range of cultural and historical units that use German-language sources to improve your core language competence, as well as your wider knowledge of German-speaking countries.
- Core language courses at all levels of study are complemented by a variety of other German-related topic areas and by time spent in a German-speaking country.
- Independent, monitored self-study reinforces students' knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.
We offer French at both post-A-level and beginners' level. French Studies provides a newly-revised core language course to help develop your language learning, placing emphasis on acquiring high-level skills built on firm foundations of knowledge of French syntax, morphology, phonetics and phonology. Our range and quality of courses are regularly cited for praise by external examiners and two colleagues have won University Teaching Excellence Awards. We offer a wide range of non-language courses, incorporating a research component at all levels.
We offer German at both post-A-level and beginners' level. Specialisms in German include historical and contemporary linguistics, literary studies, screen studies, gender and sexuality, modern cultural history, minority cultures and Holocaust studies. Our teaching, praised in the Teaching Quality Assessment and by external examiners, is backed up by an innovative Independent Language Learning Programme, enabling students to take control of their own learning experience. The quality of our online teaching and learning resources is highly praised by students and its excellence recognised within the University.
Application deadline details:
For a great student experience Manchester is the place to be, the main student halls only a ten minute magic bus ride from uni, be out of bed and in lectures within half an hour (great after a night out!) With the biggest students union in the UK there is always something to do, try out a 'Why Not Wednesday?' or join a society, there's more than 400 to choose from, including Quidditch! The city centre has all sorts of surprises, loads of opportunity for shopping, sightseeing and eating out. The Northern Quarter is somewhere to be explored for newcomers will a whole host of quirky bars, pubs and restaurants. The city centre is again only a 20 minute magic bus ride from halls. Manchester is is where you want to be!
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £18,500
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.