**BA (Hons) German and Russian**
Provides a comprehensive grounding in German language, literature, culture, history and linguistics as well as a broad grounding in Russian language, culture and society. It enables students to become proficient enough in German to live and work effectively in a German-speaking environment.
All our units include a focus on key transferable skills that help to prepare you for the world of work, as well as encouraging you to develop your academic talents.
- Our German courses at Manchester give students a solid grounding in German language and the opportunity to explore in depth German culture, linguistics, history and literature. They equip students with the skills and expertise needed to thrive in German-speaking environments, both during their period of residence abroad and following graduation.
- Core German language courses at all levels of study are complemented by a variety of other subject areas, including linguistics that teaches you how the language works and a wide range of cultural and historical units that use German-language sources to improve your core language competence, as well as your wider knowledge of the German-speaking countries.
- The third year includes a period spent in a German-speaking country. You can choose a work placement, teach English in schools as part of the British Council's assistantship scheme or study at our prestigious partner institutions in Berlin, Freiburg, Hamburg, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Basle and Innsbruck.
- We have specialists in an unusually wide range of German-related subjects, so that you can focus on subjects that really appeal to you in your final year of study.
- Studies in Russian will enable students to develop their Russian language skills to a superior level.
- Students will be provided with a broad grounding in Russian area studies, with an emphasis on the integrated study of language, culture and society.
- We have specialists in an unusually wide range of Russian-related subjects, so that you can focus on subjects that really appeal to you in your final year of study. You can develop your interests in, and knowledge of, a variety of other subject areas (such as film and media studies, sociology, history and politics, literary and cultural studies).
We offer German at both post-A-level and beginners' level. Specialisms in German include historical and contemporary linguistics, literary studies, screen studies, gender and sexuality, modern cultural history, minority cultures and Holocaust studies. Our teaching, praised in the Teaching Quality Assessment and by external examiners, is backed up by an innovative Independent Language Learning Programme, enabling students to take control of their own learning experience. The quality of our online teaching and learning resources is highly praised by students and its excellence recognised within the University.
Language courses are team-taught by native speakers of Russian and English-speakers with a superior command of Russian; these courses are supplemented by structured independent language-learning activities. There are separate language pathways for beginners and post-A-level students in the first two years of study. You will have access to a wide range of Russian cultural and social events that further your study of Russian language and culture outside the classroom.
Application deadline details:
For a great student experience Manchester is the place to be, the main student halls only a ten minute magic bus ride from uni, be out of bed and in lectures within half an hour (great after a night out!) With the biggest students union in the UK there is always something to do, try out a 'Why Not Wednesday?' or join a society, there's more than 400 to choose from, including Quidditch! The city centre has all sorts of surprises, loads of opportunity for shopping, sightseeing and eating out. The Northern Quarter is somewhere to be explored for newcomers will a whole host of quirky bars, pubs and restaurants. The city centre is again only a 20 minute magic bus ride from halls. Manchester is is where you want to be!
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £18,500
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.