**BA (Hons) Italian and Portuguese**
Provides students with a detailed knowledge of both the language and culture of Italy from the medieval period to the present day as well as a strong grounding in Portuguese language and develop a sophisticated understanding of topics affecting Portuguese speaking populations across the world.
- Students develop detailed knowledge of both the language and culture of Italy from the medieval period to the present day.
- The range of culture units offered across all years of the programme combine the study of the history, politics, literary, linguistic and visual culture of the peninsula and are taught by a range of specialists within these fields.
- We also offer a linguistics pathway through the degree programme for those interested in the history of the Italian language and its dialects.
- Assessment comprises a variety of methods including coursework essays, commentaries, presentations and exams. Language courses, taught by native speakers, involve comprehension, translation, grammar, and oral work.
- The course gives students a thorough grounding in the languages and cultures of the Portuguese-speaking world.
- Students study both European and Brazilian Portuguese.
- They also explore a range of options in areas such as contemporary culture, colonialism, literature and cinema from Brazil, Portugal, Mozambique and Angola.
Year 3 is spent split between Italian- and Portuguese-speaking countries (on university exchange, work placement, or teaching as an English-language assistant).
- Excellence in teaching and learning recognised internally and nationally: a colleague won a Teaching Excellence Award and another has secured national funding to develop use of digital resources in teaching by bringing our libraries' Special Collections into the age of the app.
- Emphasis placed on Italian cultural analysis through history, film, and literature.
- Extensive interaction with Italian cultural agencies in the North West.
- You will be taught by both Portuguese and Brazilian language teachers with specific training and as a result, both your written and your oral work are enhanced by constant exposure to accurate, idiomatic, and documented language.
- Cultural content courses are led by academic staff with broad expertise and who publish widely in their field.
- There are outstanding resources for students, including world leading collections on Lusophone Africa within the library, and access to hundreds of films and texts on Portugal and Brazil.
Application deadline details:
For a great student experience Manchester is the place to be, the main student halls only a ten minute magic bus ride from uni, be out of bed and in lectures within half an hour (great after a night out!) With the biggest students union in the UK there is always something to do, try out a 'Why Not Wednesday?' or join a society, there's more than 400 to choose from, including Quidditch! The city centre has all sorts of surprises, loads of opportunity for shopping, sightseeing and eating out. The Northern Quarter is somewhere to be explored for newcomers will a whole host of quirky bars, pubs and restaurants. The city centre is again only a 20 minute magic bus ride from halls. Manchester is is where you want to be!
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £18,500
The atmosphere at Manchester is unbeatable. You'll never feel more comfortable or at home in such a big city. The university offer so much support that the transition to uni life is easier.
there is so much to get involved in socially, just don't get wrapped up in it too much. Remember your at one of the top university's in the UK and you work load and the required work ethic will reflect that so be prepared.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.