**Why choose this course?**
What physical and human factors are impacting on our environment? How are they being addressed at local, national and international level? How can we influence change? If those are the sorts of questions that interest you then our Geography programme will be of interest!
In your first year, you will understand the fundamentals of Geography. You will also get hands on with practical fieldwork. In your second year you will have the opportunity to go on a residential to South West USA, as well as selecting optional modules so you could start to specialise or keep your knowledge and skills broad. Your final year will focus on independent research, as well as preparing for work or further study.
Weâre really proud that this programme has been accredited by the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG). Accredited degree programmes contain a solid academic foundation in geographical knowledge and skills, and prepare graduates to address the needs of the world beyond higher education. The accreditation criteria require evidence that graduates from accredited programmes meet defined sets of learning outcomes, including subject knowledge, technical ability and transferable skills.
**By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:**
- You will experience student life at the Universityâs Â£330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you wonât have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, weâre here to help you to achieve them. Weâll support you to identify the skills youâre learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study youâll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
**The Northampton Employment Promise**
- In fact, weâre so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still havenât secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three â six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
â± terms and conditions apply. See northampton.ac.uk/benefits for more information
â±â± source: Guardian University League Table 2020
â¢ Geographical Techniques 1 (compulsory)
â¢ Learning for Sustainable Development (compulsory)
â¢ Introducing Human Geographies (compulsory)
â¢ The Physical Environment (compulsory)
â¢ Geohazards (designated)
â¢ Environmental Science Practical (designated)
â¢ Geography and Development 1 (designated)
â¢ Introduction to Ecology (designated)
â¢ Physical Geography Practical (compulsory)
â¢ Approaches to Research in Human Geography (designated)
â¢ Biogeography (designated)
â¢ Geography and Development 2 (designated)
â¢ Geomorphology (designated)
â¢ Transport and Mobility (designated)
â¢ USA Field Module (designated)
â¢ Weather and Climate (designated)
â¢ Issues in Human Geography (compulsory)
â¢ Populations and Migrations (designated)
â¢ Geographical Techniques 2 (compulsory)
â¢ Past Environments (designated)
â¢ Geographers at Work (compulsory)
â¢ Geography Dissertation (compulsory)
â¢ Childrenâs Geographies (designated)
â¢ Drylands (designated)
â¢ Leisure, People and the Environment (designated)
â¢ Sustainable Development: Land Use and Planning (designated)
â¢ Understanding Change in the Physical Environment (designated)
â¢ Water Resource Management (designated)
â¢ Geographies of Sport (designated)
â¢ Climate and Society (designated)
Module information is quoted for 19/20 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
Each module includes 3 items of assessment, all of which test your knowledge and skills while developing other areas, such as your ability to present to a group.
There will be a range of formal assignments such as:
â¢ field reports
â¢ debates and discussions
â¢ written work for different audiences, such as journalists and the media
Some modules also have an end of year exam.
Application deadline details:
It's a young university, so the campuses are smaller than you'd expect. It’s got a great homely vibe, The nightlife is amazing though, Embargo's the place to go during the week and Roadmender is a great venue for indie music. The teaching is great though, very varied and creative, the academics are really dedicated to making you think about stuff differently. There are really strong support services too. And the Northampton Carnival is great to shake off the exam stress in June.
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.