Our three year undergraduate course will give you the ability to cope with a demanding and satisfying profession leading to BSc (Hons) in Children and Young Peopleâs Nursing and registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
From September 2018 we will be offering a new curriculum based on the Nursing and Midwifery Councilâs (NMC) proposed standards for education 2017. This curriculum will offer placement learning opportunities throughout Northamptonshire and beyond. Taught elements will include: public and population health; assessing planning and providing care; leading nursing care; working in teams and coordinating and improving quality of care.
There will be an acute hospital and a community placement at each stage of your course. The community placement will be with the Health Visitors, School Nurses and Children and Young Peopleâs Community Nurse/Complex Needs Teams. The acute placements are in day surgery, outpatients, paediatric assessment units, general paediatric wards and in Neonates or paediatric emergency departments.
Once qualified as a Children and Young Peopleâs nurse, your qualification can take you anywhere in the world. You can work in general paediatrics to consolidate your knowledge. You can work in specialised areas such Neonates, Paediatric Emergency Departments or a childrenâs hospital. You may wish to work in Health Visiting, School Nursing or Childrenâs Community services.
**By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:**
- You will experience student life at the Universityâs Â£330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you wonât have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, weâre here to help you to achieve them. Weâll support you to identify the skills youâre learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study youâll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
**The Northampton Employment Promise**
- In fact, weâre so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still havenât secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three â six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
â± terms and conditions apply. See northampton.ac.uk/benefits for more information
â±â± source: Guardian University League Table 2020.
â¢ Discovering My Identity as a Nurse (compulsory)
â¢ Professionalism and Public Protection in Nursing (compulsory)
â¢ Exploring the Evidence Base for Nursing (compulsory)
â¢ Developing Competence in Safe, Effective Administration and Optimization of Medicines (compulsory)
â¢ Guided Participation in Nursing Care (compulsory)
â¢ Constructing and Developing My Nursing Identity (compulsory)
â¢ Applying Understanding of Nursing Professionalism and Protection of the Public in Nursing (compulsory)
â¢ Interpreting the Evidence Base Influencing Children and Young Peopleâs Nursing (compulsory)
â¢ Demonstrating Continuing Competence in the Safe, Effective Administration and Optimization of Medicines (compulsory)
â¢ Active Participation in Nursing Care (compulsory)
â¢ Transforming and Innovating Children and Young Peoples Nursing (compulsory)
â¢ Developing My Nurse Identity Towards Becoming a Registrant (compulsory)
â¢ Becoming a Professional, Responsible, and Accountable Registered Nurse (compulsory)
â¢ Demonstrating Competence and Confidence in Safe, Effective Administration and Optimization of Medicines and the Health Numeracy Assessment (compulsory)
â¢ Leading and Coordinating Children and Young Peopleâs Nursing Care (compulsory)
Module information is quoted for 2018/19 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
Throughout your three years you will undertake written assignments varying in length and level on a variety of topics culminating with your dissertation in your final year.
You will be continuously assessed throughout this course to test your knowledge. Placements will also be assessed to ensure that you can effectively apply theory into practice within a healthcare environment.
Application deadline details:
It's a young university, so the campuses are smaller than you'd expect. It’s got a great homely vibe, The nightlife is amazing though, Embargo's the place to go during the week and Roadmender is a great venue for indie music. The teaching is great though, very varied and creative, the academics are really dedicated to making you think about stuff differently. There are really strong support services too. And the Northampton Carnival is great to shake off the exam stress in June.
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.