Our Foundation Study Framework offers a new and exciting route into studying for a degree, attracting ambitious and driven students who are willing to learn and advance, no matter what their educational background.
If you have non-standard qualifications or do not quite meet the admissions requirements for BSc Sport and Exercise Science, The University of Northampton can offer you a fantastic opportunity to study a four year BSc Sport and Exercise Science programme which includes the Foundation Study Framework. The Foundation Study Framework will help you develop the technical grounding and academic skills you need, in order to successfully progress to the full award.
The Foundation Study Framework provides a practical and group-based approach to learning that supports your development and your transition to Higher Education, whilst introducing you to key ideas and skills used by Sport Scientists. We are also committed to engaging you with specialist Sport and Exercise Science modules from the outset, whilst extending support into your second year of study (Stage One).
**By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:**
- You will experience student life at the Universityâs Â£330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you wonât have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, weâre here to help you to achieve them. Weâll support you to identify the skills youâre learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study youâll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
**The Northampton Employment Promise**
- In fact, weâre so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still havenât secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three â six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
â± terms and conditions apply. See northampton.ac.uk/benefits for more information
â±â± source: Guardian University League Table 2020
â¢ Investigations into your Subject Area 1: Science & Health (compulsory)
â¢ Investigations into your Subject Area 2: Science & Health (compulsory)
â¢ Investigation into your Subject Area 3: Changemaking (compulsory)
â¢ Introduction to Fitness Training Methods (compulsory)
â¢ Anatomy and Human Movement (compulsory)
â¢ Physiological Function and Response (compulsory)
â¢ Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology (compulsory)
â¢ Careers and Employability in Sport (designated)
â¢ Introduction to Human Nutrition (designated)
â¢ How to be Successful at University (designated)
â¢ Sport Research Methods (compulsory)
â¢ The Physiological Basis of Sport and Exercise (designated)
â¢ Biomechanical basis of Sport and Exercise (designated)
â¢ Fitness Training Methods (designated)
â¢ Psychology of Sport, Exercise & Wellbeing (designated)
â¢ Positive Psychology Coaching (designated)
â¢ Professional Practice and Entrepreneurialism (designated)
â¢ Sport, Society and Social Equality (designated)
â¢ Health Physiology (designated)
â¢ Nutritional Perspectives of Exercise, Health and Disease (designated)
â¢ Dissertation (compulsory)
â¢ Applied Sports Psychology (designated)
â¢ Psychology of Exercise and Health (designated)
â¢ Theoretical Concepts of Coaching (designated)
â¢ Contemporary Issues in Sports Physiology (designated)
â¢ Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation (designated)
â¢ Sport and Exercise Nutrition (designated)
â¢ Advanced Fitness Training Methods (designated)
â¢ Physical Activity and Society (designated)
Module information is quoted for 2019/20 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
The course is assessed in a number of ways:
Application deadline details:
It's a young university, so the campuses are smaller than you'd expect. It’s got a great homely vibe, The nightlife is amazing though, Embargo's the place to go during the week and Roadmender is a great venue for indie music. The teaching is great though, very varied and creative, the academics are really dedicated to making you think about stuff differently. There are really strong support services too. And the Northampton Carnival is great to shake off the exam stress in June.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.