Are you interested in a career as a statistician or a data scientist? Our course equips you with high-level skills in pure and applied mathematics, probability and statistics to excel in your chosen career. Master the techniques and programming skills required for everything from measuring exposure to financial risk, to organising a large scale medical trial, or understanding the principles underlying management, decision making and logistics - all skills in high demand in the workplace.
We're very proud of being top in the Guardian Mathematics University League Table for 2019 for satisfaction with the course. We are also fourth for satisfaction with mathematics teaching. This is part of a record of students regularly saying that they enjoy our degrees and teaching.
* Benefit from outstanding teaching: in the 2018 National Student Survey 99% of our final year students said that 'Staff are good at explaining things'.
* Study mathematics, statistics and their applications through modules in pure and applied mathematics as well as probability, statistics and operational research.
* Choose from a wide range of final year options to follow your interests and shape your future career. These include financial mathematics and statistics and also medical statistics.
* Enjoy teaching from leading mathematicians and statisticians: in the UK 2014 Research Excellence Framework 68 per cent of our research papers were classified as World Leading or Internationally Excellent.
* Learn high-level mathematical and statistical skills and master professional software used in industry, such as R, for statistics, MATLAB and Maple, right from the start of the course – equipping you with powerful tools to extract meaning from large data sets vital in today's world of Big Data.
* Receive excellent support in a friendly environment – from our open door policy, to the Maths Lab dedicated study space, to online support materials and clickers for immediate feedback in class, we'll provide the support you need to reach your full potential.
* Become a confident, effective communicator, able to present your ideas visually, verbally and in writing. Small group tutorials help you acquire these skills. In the 2018 National Student Survey 99% of our final year students agreed that 'I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course'.
* We have a proud track record of success in the National Student Survey (NSS). We are top of the 2019 Guardian Mathematics League Table for satisfaction with the course.
* Explore your interests with the flexibility to move between courses as you progress.
* Open the door to a successful future by taking our optional but highly recommended paid placement year – gaining valuable commercial experience so you're primed for the career you want. Previous placement providers have included the Department for Communities and Local Government, Eli Lilly, Fujitsu, GlaxoSmithKline, Liberty Living, Office for National Statistics and Thames Water.
* Distinguish yourself professionally with a degree accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, setting you on a path to Chartered Mathematician (CMath) status, and by the Royal Statistical Society** for Chartered Statistician status.
* Expand the ways you study with access to an extensive set of online support materials, including podcasts and eBooks, that you can freely access via your provided tablet PC.
* Lay strong foundations for a successful future with a degree that employers value, or pave the way to a research degree often including funded places on MScs in medical and in financial statistics.
* An impressive track record of graduate positions, with our graduates working for PAREXEL, Glory Global Solutions, KPMG, Towers Watson, Oxford Clinical Trials Research Unit and BT Retail.
Learn high-level mathematical and statistical skills and master industry software including Matlab and Maple right from the start. You'll begin by building on the mathematical skills and topics you learnt at school, studying six core modules including calculus, linear algebra, numerical methods, pure mathematics, and probability and statistics. We've structured the curriculum so that all of our students acquire a common mathematical expertise. You'll also be able to explore your interests with the flexibility to move between courses as you progress.
In your two you will study core modules including advanced calculus, analysis, ordinary differential equations, a case study-based introduction to operational research and Monte Carlo techniques. An advanced statistical module helps you to build on and develop your existing knowledge and expertise.
In your final year choose between several different project modules in mathematics, statistics or both, or opting to study a school-based module. Your studies will focus on a diverse range of topics from partial differential equations and optimisation to a wide variety of statistical modules including medical and Bayesian statistics. After graduating, you'll have the skills and experience needed to begin your career, or to take a research degree – often including funded places on MSc's in medical and financial statistics.
The modules shown for this course or programme are those being studied by current students, or expected new modules. Modules are subject to change depending on year of entry.
Application deadline details:
If you're looking for a uni with great new facilities, a wide range of courses and supportive staff, based in a city with great night life, places to eat and shops- but also less than an hour from some great beaches or rural Dartmoor, then Plymouth might just be what you are after. Plymouth offers a wide range of courses, with some more specialist options, especially relating to marine and coastal engineering and science- and the SU has a huge range of societies and sports to join, so you're bound to find something that matches your interests.
Provisional for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.