Are you ready to make the difference? Discover the formula to teaching mathematics with our expert staff and world leading researchers. You'll gain a solid foundation in mathematical and statistical modules, while the final year combines educational theory and school experience. Time spent in the classroom will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to progress to a teacher training course such as a PGCE, or move into one of many careers where high-level mathematical skills are essential.
We're very proud of being top in the Guardian Mathematics University League Table for 2019 for satisfaction with the course. We are also fourth for satisfaction with mathematics teaching. This is part of a record of students regularly saying that they enjoy our degrees and teaching.
* Benefit from outstanding teaching: in the 2018 National Student Survey 99% of our final year students said that 'Staff are good at explaining things'.
* Gain high level understanding of modern pure and applied mathematics, probability and statistics and enjoy an ideal preparation for teacher training courses.
* Gain classroom experience in a placement module supporting mathematics teaching in a secondary or primary school for one morning a week throughout your final year.
* Benefit from being taught by staff able to tailor the programme to the changing face of education. Dr Jenny Sharp who leads the Education modules has worked with schools in many different capacities, and is regularly invited to run workshops and masterclasses all around the country, including at the Royal Institution, other universities and in schools.
* Sharpen your knowledge of education theory with an in depth individual project and give yourself an ideal preparation for teacher training courses.
* Become a confident, effective communicator, able to present your ideas visually, verbally and in writing. Small group tutorials help you acquire these skills. In the 2018 National Student Survey 99% of our final year students agreed that 'I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course'.
* Help others and gain hands on expertise by taking part in our Mathematics Enrichment Programme activities. You can gradually develop a workshop for a Mathematics masterclass.
* Progress with a degree accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications that sets you on the path to Chartered Mathematician (CMath) status.
* Enjoy teaching from leading mathematicians and statisticians: in the latest UK government survey of research (Research Excellence Framework 2014) 68% of our research papers were classified as World Leading or Internationally Excellent.
* Progress with the flexibility to change to other mathematics degrees at the end of the first and second years.
* Stand out with a strong skill and knowledge base which will open up many mathematical careers to you.
* Expand the ways you study with access to an extensive set of online support materials, including podcasts and eBooks, that you can freely access via your provided tablet PC.
In the first year you'll study the same modules as students on BSc (Hons) Mathematics. This gives you both the expertise required to be confident in the classroom and also flexibility in your future career choices. Modules include calculus, linear algebra, numerical methods and probability. There is also a module on proof and reasoning that includes more surprising material such as the mathematics of cryptography. You'll also use professional software. The flexibility of the course allows you to change to other mathematics degrees at the end of the first and second years.
In year 2 you'll study a range of modules from real and complex analysis to differential equations giving you further high level mathematical and statistical skills. You'll also have the opportunity to work with school children as part of our programme of mathematics enrichment activities, or help first year students through our peer assisted learning scheme.
In the final year you'll carry out a year long placement module offering you experience working alongside a mathematics teacher in a primary or secondary school for one morning a week over two terms. Together with our tutorial system, the school placement will strengthen your oral and written communications skills and greatly enhance your employability. You'll also carry out an individual mathematics education project on a topic of your choice. The placement and project combination gives you an ideal start for PGCE teacher training. The degree also gives you excellent prospects in other mathematical careers through a wide choice of final year modules.
The modules shown for this course or programme are those being studied by current students, or expected new modules. Modules are subject to change depending on year of entry.
Application deadline details:
If you're looking for a uni with great new facilities, a wide range of courses and supportive staff, based in a city with great night life, places to eat and shops- but also less than an hour from some great beaches or rural Dartmoor, then Plymouth might just be what you are after. Plymouth offers a wide range of courses, with some more specialist options, especially relating to marine and coastal engineering and science- and the SU has a huge range of societies and sports to join, so you're bound to find something that matches your interests.
Provisional for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.