The MChem Analytical Chemistry programme at Plymouth provides a pathway for progression through a broadly based undergraduate degree in Chemistry with increasing specialisation in Analytical Chemistry from levels four to seven. Plymouth University is the only university which requires students to work in ISO9001:2015 certified laboratories.
Practical work to the ISO 17025 standard is a requirement at level seven for obtaining the MChem Analytical Chemistry qualification. The programme focuses on producing practical professional chemists through a hands-on approach to learning.
* The programme provides a pathway for progression through a broadly based undergraduate degree in Chemistry with increasing specialisation in Analytical Chemistry from levels 4 to 7 (Masters Level)
* You will develop the theoretical and practical skills necessary for employment as professional chemist in a range of chemical and allied fields, including research, teaching and industry
* The programme will develop the theoretical and practical skills, and provide training necessary for employment as an analytical chemist with experience of working to ISO 17025, the international standard for all testing and calibration laboratories
* You will learn to become a practical professional chemists through a hands-on approach to learning.
* The course places the professional skills of communication, problem solving, information and data retrieval and project management at its heart.
Year 1 core modules:
* Practice of Chemistry
* Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
* Physical and Computational Chemistry
* Solving Chemical Problems
* Symmetry and Space
* The Quantum Universe
Year 2 core modules:
* Preparation for the Chemical Industry Work Placement
* Inorganic Chemistry
* Organic Chemistry
* Physical Chemistry
* Analytical Chemistry
* Research Skills
Placement in Chemistry
Year 4 core modules:
* Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
* Advanced Organic Chemistry
* Advanced Physical Chemistry
* Chemistry Project
* Chemistry Project incorporating Work Based Learning
* Advanced Analytical Techniques
* Physical Chemistry
Final year core modules:
* MChem Analytical Chemistry Project
* Quality Assurance and Accreditation
* Analytical Chemistry Advanced Problems and Practice for MChem
* Research Skills for Science
The modules shown for this course are those currently being studied by our students, or are proposed new modules. Please note that programme structures and individual modules are subject to amendment from time to time as part of the University's curriculum enrichment programme and in line with changes in the University's policies and requirements.
30% of assessment is by exam, 70% by coursework
Application deadline details:
If you're looking for a uni with great new facilities, a wide range of courses and supportive staff, based in a city with great night life, places to eat and shops- but also less than an hour from some great beaches or rural Dartmoor, then Plymouth might just be what you are after. Plymouth offers a wide range of courses, with some more specialist options, especially relating to marine and coastal engineering and science- and the SU has a huge range of societies and sports to join, so you're bound to find something that matches your interests.
Provisional for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.