Lay the foundations for a successful career as a building surveyor, as you build your knowledge and skills in the physical care, repair and refurbishment of buildings. The combination of lectures, field trips, site visits, tutorials and an optional year-long paid industry placement will prepare you for a range of potential routes in the construction sector including building surveying, quantity surveying, property management or building regulation.
* Launch your career – 95 per cent of graduates from this programme are in professional or managerial employment within just six months of graduation (source: 2016 DLHE survey results available on Unistats*).
* Our building courses were ranked sixth in the country in the The Times and the Sunday Times League Table 2015.
* Explore the industry with site visits and field trips (including a fully funded European field trip), observing construction practices within and outside the UK.
* Learn from leaders in their fields - our staff come from both industry and research backgrounds. You'll have the opportunity to work alongside industry professionals and have access to an exciting and diverse programme of visiting speakers.
* Lead the way in the industry - the environmental focus of our course enables you to place yourself at the forefront of the sector, able to embrace the trend of stricter environmental and energy-based legislation.
* Gain valuable workplace experience with a paid year-long placement in a leading construction company in the UK or abroad. Our industry links will help you find a placement, boosting your studies with practical experience and cultivating the contacts that can lead to future employment.
* Have a real-world impact as you engage in industry-led group projects with genuine project briefs and clients. Guided by our panel of industrial advisers, you'll develop the professional skills and networking to stand out in this sector.
* Our course is fully accredited by the leading professional bodies recognised for building surveyors including the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE).
In Year 1, you'll develop your understanding of the principles of low-rise domestic buildings, including building technologies, services, construction methods, and materials of both new and existing buildings. You'll also gain knowledge of construction and project management practices, preparing you to take on building projects of your own. An industry-led group project will see you work as part of a team to design an energy efficient housing development.
Delve more deeply into the principles of non-domestic buildings in Year 2, including building technologies, services, construction methods and materials. Advance your knowledge of building lifecycles, domestic building defects, diagnosis, and building condition surveying. Your industry-led group project will see you design and build, or retrofit, a complex high-rise building. Top it all off with a fully paid European field trip.
Take advantage of an optional year of paid professional training by undertaking an industry placement with a company in the UK or abroad.
In your final year, cement your skillset as you build an in-depth knowledge of the diagnosis and solution of building defects. Develop an understanding of facility management, project management, team management, and risk management, and apply these skills through an industry-led consultancy project of a site development. Lead your own research project in a building surveying subject of your choice.
The modules shown for this course or programme are those being studied by current students, or expected new modules. Modules are subject to change depending on year of entry.
38% of assessment is by exam, 62% by coursework
Application deadline details:
If you're looking for a uni with great new facilities, a wide range of courses and supportive staff, based in a city with great night life, places to eat and shops- but also less than an hour from some great beaches or rural Dartmoor, then Plymouth might just be what you are after. Plymouth offers a wide range of courses, with some more specialist options, especially relating to marine and coastal engineering and science- and the SU has a huge range of societies and sports to join, so you're bound to find something that matches your interests.
Provisional for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Provisional for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.