BA (Hons), Full-time Including Foundation Year
, Duration: 4 Years
The BA English with Foundation is a four year programme of study that includes a foundation year which offers access to Humanities education to students regionally and nationally who do not have the standard entry profile for Year 1 BA study. Equally, the programme is designed for those returning to study who have relevant work/professional experience but not the required academic profile for Level 4 entry. It is also suitable for Level 3 learners whose subject choice does not include the necessary background, but who are otherwise academically strong.
The quality of our teaching, as demonstrated in NSS results, and a real understanding of the skills needed for University education, enable us to prepare students for the rigours of a four year degree in highly effective and stimulating ways.
This four-year programme is designed to give you the grounding necessary to progress through your undergraduate studies in English, and through the many opportunities we give you,
Find the best possible direction to grow your love of learning.
Your first year will:
- Welcome you to an exciting and eclectic curriculum which will develop your knowledge of the disciplines of English literature, creative writing and history while also engaging with lively interdisciplinary enquiry across a wide range of historical periods and literary forms.
- Provide training in all the skills required for a successful passage through your undergraduate study: research, use of digital resources, essay-writing, academic argument, presentations, independent study.
- Iintroduce you to supportive and accessible academic staff in a welcoming community.
- Immerse you in an academic environment offering a wide range of field trips, access to free cultural events through Peninsula Arts, student-led magazines, internships and extra-curricular work experiences.
- Give you access to state-of-the-art facilities, library and learning resources on our city-centre campus.
- Enable you to find a route for you, whether you are returning to education after a break or if you come with qualifications other than A levels.
When you join the BA (Hons) English with Foundation, youâll also:
- Choose from a wide variety of specialist modules, including period and cultural studies and creative writing in your 2nd, 3rd, and final years.
- Receive free set texts for all core modules throughout your four years.
- Benefit from assessment through coursework, with no written exams.
- Boost your career prospects by working with a publishing house, literary agent, arts organisation or magazine on our work-based learning module or extra-curricular internships.
- Make use of our open-door policy and talk to your lecturers in a friendly and supportive learning environment.
- Learn from internationally recognised research-active staff, including published creative writers.
- Experience other cultures by studying or working abroad in either Europe or the US.
- Write and be published as part of INK, the BA (Hons) English and Creative Writing student-run magazine.
- Access resources at any time with the University library, open 24 hours 365 days a year, offering a vast range of electronic and print materials, including a rare books collection.
- Make the most of a rich cultural life with Plymouth Universityâs Peninsula Arts programme and the Universityâs links with local arts organisations, like the Theatre Royal.
Application deadline details:
If you're looking for a uni with great new facilities, a wide range of courses and supportive staff, based in a city with great night life, places to eat and shops- but also less than an hour from some great beaches or rural Dartmoor, then Plymouth might just be what you are after. Plymouth offers a wide range of courses, with some more specialist options, especially relating to marine and coastal engineering and science- and the SU has a huge range of societies and sports to join, so you're bound to find something that matches your interests.
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.