If youâre looking for a course that leads to registration with the General Dental Council (GDC) and youâve got the drive to succeed as a key member of a dental team, this 2-year Advanced Dental Nursing DipHE course is for you.
On this course, youâll gain the essential knowledge you need to become registered with the GDC, while learning practical and professional skills in our first-rate facilities.Â You'll be an essential member of the dental team, with a scope of practice which allows you to increase your role in patient care.
After the course, youâll be set to take on a variety of careers in the dental industry. You could go on to work in a clinical environment or in health promotion, management, the NHS, as well as private general and specialist dental practice.
This course is fully accredited by the General Dental Council (GDC). This allows you to register as a dental nurse when you complete your first year successfully.
**What you'll experience**
On this course, you'll:
- Qualify with the Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) in Dental Nursing after your first year of study, which allows you to register with the GDC as a dental nurse before your second year
- Learn dental nursing procedures and techniques in our Dental Academy
- Turn your knowledge into practical skills, working as part of a team to provide dental care and oral health promotion to patients in the community
- Use treatment bays and simulation technology, which includes our Phantom Head (manikin head) skill lab and radiography booths
- Work alongside dentists, dental nurses and other students, giving you a taste of your future work environment
- Develop additional clinical and academic skills to expand your scope of practice as a dental nurse, including radiography and impression taking
- Produce a research proposal on a subject of your choice, related to your advanced dental nursing practice
**Careers and opportunities**
There are many career routes you can take after completing this course.
What can you do with an Advanced Dental Nursing DipHE?
As a registered dental nurse, youâll be qualified to take on roles in any sector of the dental industry, including:
- general dental practice (NHS or private)
- corporate dental practice
- hospital dental services
- armed forces
- specialists dental practice
- oral health promotionÂ
You can top up your diploma within 5 years of completion by joining the third year of ourÂ BSc (Hons) Advanced Dental Nursing course.
Whatever career you pursue, our Careers and Employability service will be on hand with support and advice for 5 years after you finish your course.
Year 1 core modules in this year include: Core Skills Training Framework, Foundation of Evidence Based Practice, Foundations of Dental Nursing Professional Practice, Fundamentals of Dental Nursing Practice, Science Informing Practice.
Year 2 core modules in this year include: Applied Dental Nursing Professional Practice, Communication for the Dental Team, Core Skills Training Framework Repeat, Dental Radiography and Dental Imaging, Engaging with Service Improvement, Evidence Based Decision Making.
Youâll be assessed through written examinations, computer examinations, presentations, coursework.
Youâll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Application deadline details:
There’s a lot to love in Pompey, a city geared towards students with loads of great bars, pubs, and shops. The nightlife is incredible, loads of student nights on and everyone is up for it. The main place to go out is the strip of clubs by the Guildhall, although there are lots of little places if you seek them out. The uni is also amazingly supportive, with great facilities and the Purple Door offering great careers support for all students, and the SU is also really helpful as well as serving amazing drinks and food.
Set for Year 1 for EU at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for England at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Northern Ireland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Scotland at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Wales at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for Channel Islands at £9,250
Set for Year 1 for International at £14,300
Love Portsmouth uni so much! Soo glad I went here as it’s perfect for me. It’s a city but not too big as you can literally walk anywhere, buses really aren’t necessary! Always close to the beach and shopping places too. Love my tutors and friends I’ve made and the societies are so fun to join and meet new people at.
Connect with other students interested in this course
Stay ahead of the uni application process by connecting with students who are applying to this uni. Keep up to date with who is getting interviews, when they receive offers and if they have accepted a place.